Just from personal study, is this possible?

• Thread starter meaningoflight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: If you're actually traveling at the higher speed, then the clock would be moving away from you and the light from each tick would have the same distance to travel, so the time between ticks would look the same to you.
meaningoflight
I had been wondering for a long time now if a certain situation was possible. Back when I was in high school I thought about somthing for a long time before I asked my physics teacher. He replied, "Good idea except general relativity makes this not possible." For some reason though it seemed like it made sense. Supposely I hear that science has learned they can alter the speed of light. Well if so, then what I thought is possible right? Here it is in simple terms.
"Instead of time traveling, can you time perceptional travel at a higher velocity of perception? I f that makes sense. For example, if looking into space is the past, can we speed up that perception by heading towards it in a high velocity, hence speeding the perception of the time passing us by site, oppose to actual time travel. If so, would we see a steady recesion of the perceived time occurring (watching a star morph quickly like a movie in fast forward) or would it be glitch? Can anyone help me with this and explain toi me? We would in a way be time traveling, but not at the moment, just effecting when deep space light would be arriving at our viewpoint. Also, am i on an interesting thought with thinking of this, or just crazy. lol

Physics news on Phys.org
meaningoflight said:
For example, if looking into space is the past, can we speed up that perception by heading towards it in a high velocity, hence speeding the perception of the time passing us by site, oppose to actual time travel. If so, would we see a steady recesion of the perceived time occurring (watching a star morph quickly like a movie in fast forward) or would it be glitch?
Are you just asking if heading towards a distant object at high speed would make it visually appear to you like a movie in fast forward? If so the answer is yes, thanks to the http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/YBA/M31-velocity/Doppler-shift-2.html . If you're watching the ticks of a distant clock, then if the clock is moving towards you the light from each tick has a shorter distance to travel to reach you than the light from the last one, so the time between ticks seems to shrink.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the key word in that is "appear".

1. Can personal study alone lead to scientific discoveries?

While personal study can certainly contribute to scientific discoveries, it is usually not the only factor. Scientific breakthroughs often require collaboration, experimentation, and peer review to confirm validity.

2. How can I ensure the accuracy of my personal study?

To ensure the accuracy of your personal study, it is important to use reliable sources, follow the scientific method, and be open to feedback and criticism from others in the scientific community.

3. Is personal study enough to replace formal education in a scientific field?

No, personal study alone is not enough. Formal education provides structured learning, access to resources and equipment, and guidance from experienced scientists, all of which are crucial for a successful scientific career.

4. Can personal study lead to published scientific papers?

Yes, personal study can certainly lead to published scientific papers. However, these papers must go through a rigorous peer review process to ensure their validity and significance in the scientific community.

5. How can I incorporate personal study into my research and experiments?

Personal study can be incorporated into research and experiments by using it to inform and guide your hypotheses and methods, as well as to analyze and interpret your results. It can also be helpful in generating new ideas and approaches for future research.