Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just from personal study, is this possible?

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1
    I had been wondering for a long time now if a certain situation was possible. Back when I was in high school I thought about somthing for a long time before I asked my physics teacher. He replied, "Good idea except general relativity makes this not possible." For some reason though it seemed like it made sense. Supposely I hear that science has learned they can alter the speed of light. Well if so, then what I thought is possible right? Here it is in simple terms.
    "Instead of time traveling, can you time perceptional travel at a higher velocity of perception? I f that makes sense. For example, if looking into space is the past, can we speed up that perception by heading towards it in a high velocity, hence speeding the perception of the time passing us by site, oppose to actual time travel. If so, would we see a steady recesion of the perceived time occurring (watching a star morph quickly like a movie in fast forward) or would it be glitch? Can anyone help me with this and explain toi me? We would in a way be time traveling, but not at the moment, just effecting when deep space light would be arriving at our viewpoint. Also, am i on an interesting thought with thinking of this, or just crazy. lol

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

Are you just asking if heading towards a distant object at high speed would make it visually appear to you like a movie in fast forward? If so the answer is yes, thanks to the Doppler shift. If you're watching the ticks of a distant clock, then if the clock is moving towards you the light from each tick has a shorter distance to travel to reach you than the light from the last one, so the time between ticks seems to shrink.

4. Sep 2, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But the key word in that is "appear".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?