1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just had a Test and I could not get this one!

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    It was only worth 5 points so I just guessed.

Two sinusoidal waves interfere with each other to produce a Standing wave. The distance between the 2nd and 5th node is 60cm. What was the original wavelength of the original waves?

Oh yeah, and f=100Hz.

Where do I start on this one. I know f=nv/2L and V=lambda*f

um....I guess I am missing whatever the key concept is here to establish the correct relationship.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

The nodes are where the string (or whatever) is not moving. There are how many wavelengths in the 3 nodes as you go from the 2nd to the 5th node?
  4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    1.5 ? I am not sure what to do with this number. ......60/1.5=40cm?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  5. Oct 29, 2007 #4
    But seriously...now what?
  6. Oct 29, 2007 #5

That would be what I would put down. Do you know if it is correct?
  7. Oct 29, 2007 #6
    I don't know. So is the 100Hz just there to mess with me?
  8. Oct 29, 2007 #7

To test your thinking (aka mess with you). The 100Hz is no help in determining the wavelength unless you have what other two pieces of information about the string?
  9. Oct 29, 2007 #8
    If I had wave speed V... It did not say it was a string so in general I would have needed some representitive of its elasticity (tension or bulk modulus) and its inertia (linear or volumetric density) since [tex]V=\sqrt\frac{elasticity}{inertial}[/tex]

10. Oct 29, 2007 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree too.

the distance between two adjacent nodes is half the wavelength of the two waves combining to give a standing wave pattern.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?