What is the Minimum Depth of Water for Standing Sound Waves in a Drinking Glass?

In summary, the minimum depth of water at which this occurs (distance from surface of water to bottom of glass) is 11.8 cm.
4Phreal

Homework Statement

We place a speaker near the top of a drinking glass. The speaker emits sound waves with a frequency of 3.75 kHz. The glass is 14.1 cm deep. As I pour water into the glass, I find that at certain levels the sound is enhanced due to the excitation of standing sound waves in the air inside the glass. Find the minimum depth of water at which this occurs (distance from surface of water to bottom of glass). The standing sound wave has a node at the surface of the water and an antinode at the top of the glass. Assume that the antinode is exactly at the top of the glass. The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s

Homework Equations

fn = nv/4L
v=fλ

The Attempt at a Solution

The distance between a node and an antinode is wavelength/4, so I calculate wavelength via lambda=v/f, converting 3.75 kHz to 3750 Hz. This gives wavelength equal to 0.091466667m. I then take 14.1 cm, convert it to 0.141 m, and subtract the 0.091466667/4 from it to get the depth of the water, which is 0.118133333 m, or 11.8 cm. Which is wrong.
I next try 5λ/4 (using n=5) and get 0.027 m, or 2.7 cm which is also wrong, but 7λ/4 yields a negative answer, and 3λ/4 is gives an answer larger than 5λ/4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
4Phreal said:

Homework Statement

We place a speaker near the top of a drinking glass. The speaker emits sound waves with a frequency of 3.75 kHz. The glass is 14.1 cm deep. As I pour water into the glass, I find that at certain levels the sound is enhanced due to the excitation of standing sound waves in the air inside the glass. Find the minimum depth of water at which this occurs (distance from surface of water to bottom of glass). The standing sound wave has a node at the surface of the water and an antinode at the top of the glass. Assume that the antinode is exactly at the top of the glass. The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s

Homework Equations

fn = nv/4L
v=fλ

The Attempt at a Solution

The distance between a node and an antinode is wavelength/4, so I calculate wavelength via lambda=v/f, converting 3.75 kHz to 3750 Hz. This gives wavelength equal to 0.091466667m. I then take 14.1 cm, convert it to 0.141 m, and subtract the 0.091466667/4 from it to get the depth of the water, which is 0.118133333 m, or 11.8 cm. Which is wrong.
That would give you maximum depth of water rather than the minimum.

I next try 5λ/4 (using n=5) and get 0.027 m, or 2.7 cm which is also wrong, but 7λ/4 yields a negative answer, and 3λ/4 is gives an answer larger than 5λ/4

Sounds to me like you have the right idea. Try to make n as large as possible (while keeping it odd) without going over the 14.1 cm depth of the glass.

Are you sure you are using the correct speed of sound that your coursework requires? I see that you are using 343 m/s. But the speed of sound can vary considerably depending on altitude mostly, but also a little on other factors such as barometric pressure, humidity, etc. Make sure you are using the number you are supposed to use, whatever that may be.

Other than that, my only advice is to make sure you keep plenty of significant figures in your calculation up to the end to avoid compounded rounding errors.

Also, for what it's worth, this problem is very sensitive to to the wavelength, and thus the speed of sound used.

An small percentage error in the wavelength (or speed of sound) will translate to an error of a much larger percentage in the final answer.

[Edit: Oh, and welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:]

Last edited:

What is the definition of wavelength in a closed column?

Wavelength in a closed column refers to the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that are in phase. It is typically measured in meters or other units of length.

How is wavelength related to the frequency of a wave in a closed column?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely related in a closed column. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of the wave / frequency.

What is the significance of wavelength in a closed column?

Wavelength is important in a closed column because it determines the properties and behavior of the wave. It affects the energy, speed, and direction of the wave, as well as how it interacts with other waves and objects in its path.

How does the medium in a closed column affect the wavelength of a wave?

The medium in a closed column can affect the wavelength of a wave by changing the speed of the wave. In general, waves travel faster in denser mediums, resulting in a shorter wavelength. This is why sound waves have shorter wavelengths in water than in air.

Can the wavelength of a wave in a closed column be changed?

Yes, the wavelength of a wave in a closed column can be changed. It can be altered by changing the properties of the medium, such as its density or temperature, or by using devices such as lenses or prisms to manipulate the wave. Additionally, when a wave encounters a boundary between two mediums, its wavelength can change as it is partially reflected and transmitted.