1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just how broad is a focus in signal processing?

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    I see a lot of electrical engineering graduate programs that offer concentrations in signal processing (analog or digital or both). I understand signal processing is used virtually everywhere, but how does one break into a particular industry with a concentration in signal processing? Can you break into any industry where signal processing is required, or is it much more feasible to go into an industry related to other electives you've taken (e.g. Getting into communications with a specialization in signal processing because you took a couple of communications courses)?

How employable would this be, if complemented with the appropriate (whatever that is) hands-on experience?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2015 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

It is easier to get a job if you've taken courses related to the work they do. The best thing to do is study what you're interested in (people usually do better at things they are interested in) and then do your very best to get an internship at a company before you graduate.

"Signal Processing" is pretty broad but that's OK at an undergraduate level. If you want to work in a communications company, try to get an internship at a communications company, and so on.

EDIT: At the graduate level, even though your "area" might be signal processing, your project work will be heavily specialized. That work is what employers will be interested in. They won't care about whatever administrative titles your department gives to various labs.

4. Dec 1, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your response. That makes sense. So I suppose the best thing to do would be to look at specific labs at my choice schools. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook