1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Prospects for Math major EE minor applying for signals related EE PhD?

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    I'm a math major having taken 1st yr physics, programming, lab electronics, and a EE minor of 4-5 courses on signal processing and linear systems (including couple grad courses). I'm also doing medical imaging research w/ the EE dept this summer. I didn't major in EE b/c I've no interest in MOSFETS and digital design (and I get to graduate a year early w/ my current plans).

How disadvantaged am I applying to EE PHD programs (concentrating on signals related stuff) compared to BSEEs, if at all? Thank you :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2010 #2
    As long as you work in theory/computation groups in signal processing and communications, you should be fine. You'll want recommendations from EE professors you've collaborated with. Applied Mathematics will also help.

PS -- Many statistics departments have people working on statistical signal processing, channel estimation, etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook