Prospects for Math major EE minor applying for signals related EE PhD?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
1230wc
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
I'm a math major having taken 1st yr physics, programming, lab electronics, and a EE minor of 4-5 courses on signal processing and linear systems (including couple grad courses). I'm also doing medical imaging research w/ the EE dept this summer. I didn't major in EE b/c I've no interest in MOSFETS and digital design (and I get to graduate a year early w/ my current plans).

How disadvantaged am I applying to EE PHD programs (concentrating on signals related stuff) compared to BSEEs, if at all? Thank you :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you work in theory/computation groups in signal processing and communications, you should be fine. You'll want recommendations from EE professors you've collaborated with. Applied Mathematics will also help.

PS -- Many statistics departments have people working on statistical signal processing, channel estimation, etc.