Just Tell Me If Its Doable (Vectors)

• Thread starter sugarntwiligh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the problem is to determine the vector A - C, given the vectors A and C in Fig. 3-35 and A = 60.0. The magnitude is 91.8 and the direction is 54.8° from the positive x axis. The angle of B is not needed to solve this problem, as it is irrelevant.
sugarntwiligh
Just Tell Me If Its "Doable" (Vectors)

Here's the problem:
Give magnitude and direction from the positive x axis, given A=60. Use the following picture:

http://www.webassign.net/giancoli5/3_35alt.gif

I know how to do vectors...
Ax: 60cos(28)=52.98
Ay: 60sin(28)=28.17

Cx: 0
Cy: 46.8

B: ?
B: ?

Now correct me if I am wrong, but don't I need the angle of B in order to solve?

Physics news on Phys.org

What's the exact statement of the problem?

Doc Al said:
What's the exact statement of the problem?

Determine the vector A - C, given the vectors A and C in Fig. 3-35 (A = 60.0).

Magnitude:_____
Direction:____ ° (from the positive x axis)

sugarntwiligh said:
Determine the vector A - C, given the vectors A and C in Fig. 3-35 (A = 60.0).
This has nothing to do with B, so B's angle is not needed.

sugarntwiligh said:
I know how to do vectors...
Ax: 60cos(28)=52.98
Ay: 60sin(28)=28.17

Cx: 0
Cy: 46.8
Good, except for the sign of Cy.

Doc Al said:
This has nothing to do with B, so B's angle is not needed.

Good, except for the sign of Cy.

Oh ok I got it now. Since its A-C, I just take my C values and times them by -1. So now I have,
C=-46.8(-1)=46.8 (y)
C=0 (x)

And then I take the values Rx and Ry:

Rx: 52.98
Ry: 74.97

And plug in the formula:

squareroot(52.98^2+74.97^2)=91.8

And I get my angle:

tan-1(74.97/52.98)=54.8

Yay!

1. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted using the parallelogram method. This involves placing the initial points of the vectors at the same point, drawing the vectors in the same direction, and creating a parallelogram with the vectors as two sides. The resulting vector from the opposite corner of the parallelogram is the sum or difference of the original vectors.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length of the vector. To find the magnitude, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the magnitude of a vector (a,b) is equal to √(a² + b²).

3. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar value that represents the product of the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. It can be calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors and then summing the products. The dot product is often used to determine the angle between two vectors or to project one vector onto another.

4. Can you find the cross product of two vectors in any dimension?

No, the cross product is only defined for three-dimensional vectors. It results in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors and its magnitude is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two original vectors. In higher dimensions, the cross product is not well-defined.

5. How are vectors used in physics?

Vectors are used in physics to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and displacement. These quantities have both magnitude and direction, which can be represented by vectors. Vectors are also used to analyze and solve problems involving motion, forces, and other physical phenomena.