Calculus II - Taylor Series - Error Bounds

In summary: In any case, using a tighter bound is a better estimation. Also, remember that the Taylor series is an approximation, not an exact value, so there will always be some error involved.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the error bound in Taylor series problems. The formula for the remainder term is provided and the individual is struggling to understand how to pick the value of M. It is mentioned that M can be any number as long as the condition |f^(n+1)(c)|<=M is satisfied, but using a tighter bound will result in a better estimation. The conversation concludes by mentioning that the Taylor series is an approximation and not an exact value, so there will always be some level of error involved.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Hi,

I'm really struggling with trying to come up with the error bound when doing taylor series problems

Use the reaminder term to estimate the absolute error in approximating the following quantitites with the nth-order Taylor Polynomial cnetered at 0. Estimates are not unique.

e^.25; n=4

Homework Equations

If n is a fixed integer, suppose there exists a number M such that |f^(n+1)(c)|<=M for all c between a and x inclusive. The remainder in nth-order Taylor polynomial for f centered at a satisfies

|Rn(x)|=|f(x)-Pn(x)|<= M*|x-a|^(n+1)/(n+1)!

The Attempt at a Solution

So apparently if we let f(x)=e^x, then f^(5)(x) = e^x, which I agree with fully

But I don't see how e^.25 is bounded by 2 and this is what we set M equal to. e^.25 is about 1.284025417...

I understood the previous similar problem that I did with sin(.3); n=4, because the nth derivative of sin(x) is either +/- sin(x) or +/- cos(x) which will always be <= 1 so this makes sense to use for a value of M, M=1 in this problem...

but for the one that I'm stuck on I don't see why we set M=2. The nth derivative of e^x is always going to be e^x which doesn't have a max value and increases without bound...

I hope it makes sense as to were I'm getting confused. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
So basically, you're confused why they picked M=2, right?

Well, we need to pick M such that

[itex]|f^{(5)}(x)|\leq M[/itex]

for all x between 0 and 0.25.

So we need to pick M such that

[itex]|e^x|\leq M[/itex]

for all x between 0 and 0.25.

We can choose M=2 since indeed [itex]|e^x|<2[/itex] for all such x.

then why not just go with like 1.3 or something sense

|e^x|<1.3
if x is between 0 and .25

GreenPrint said:
then why not just go with like 1.3 or something sense

|e^x|<1.3
if x is between 0 and .25

That"s also possible.

so M can be any number at all? as long as
|f^(n+1)(c)|<=M
is true?
Won't this different M value change the value of

which i guess is ok because of the
<=
sign, so what's the best value to chose for M then in a any given situation, the smallest value that it can be or does it not really matter. Like I guess the smallest value you could use is e^.25 itself for M for this problem

GreenPrint said:
so M can be any number at all? as long as
|f^(n+1)(c)|<=M
is true?
Won't this different M value change the value of

which i guess is ok because of the
<=
sign, so what's the best value to chose for M then in a any given situation, the smallest value that it can be or does it not really matter. Like I guess the smallest value you could use is e^.25 itself for M for this problem

Well, you could choose M=100000000 for all I care, it would be correct. HOWEVER: choosing such a large bound, will result in a bad estimation. If you choose a tighter bound like 2, then the estimation will be better. An even tighter bound would be 1.3 and this would be an even better estimation.
They chose 2 here because it seems to work with such a bound.

micromass said:
Well, you could choose M=100000000 for all I care, it would be correct. HOWEVER: choosing such a large bound, will result in a bad estimation. If you choose a tighter bound like 2, then the estimation will be better. An even tighter bound would be 1.3 and this would be an even better estimation.
They chose 2 here because it seems to work with such a bound.

What exactly do you mean by work, just like the statement is true about |f^(n+1)(c)|<=M, I'm just trying to fully understand this, and so like I guess if Taylor series appeared on my examination my professor would have to actually check the final answer himself because like you said you can chose anything for M as long as the statement is true, |f^(n+1)(c)|<=M, and there's not just one answer for the rough estimation of M*|x-a|^(n+1)/(n+1)! that you would put at the end of the problem by plugging it into your calculator, that would really suck, and you that makes sense, to use a tighter bound so that way the estimate is better

GreenPrint said:
What exactly do you mean by work, just like the statement is true about |f^(n+1)(c)|<=M, I'm just trying to fully understand this, and so like I guess if Taylor series appeared on my examination my professor would have to actually check the final answer himself because like you said you can chose anything for M as long as the statement is true, |f^(n+1)(c)|<=M, and there's not just one answer for the rough estimation of M*|x-a|^(n+1)/(n+1)! that you would put at the end of the problem by plugging it into your calculator, that would really suck, and you that makes sense, to use a tighter bound so that way the estimate is better

Well, there are indeed multiple answers available. Like it says is the OP

Estimates are not unique.

So if your professor asks this questions, then in principle M=10000000 should be correct. However, he probably ask something more specific.

What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, with each term representing the derivatives of the function at a specific point.

How is a Taylor series useful in Calculus II?

In Calculus II, Taylor series are used to approximate complicated functions with simpler ones. This is especially useful in solving differential equations and evaluating integrals.

What is the formula for the remainder or error in a Taylor series?

The remainder or error in a Taylor series is given by the formula R_n(x) = f(x) - T_n(x), where f(x) is the original function, T_n(x) is the nth degree Taylor polynomial, and R_n(x) is the remainder or error.

How do you find the upper bound for the error in a Taylor series?

The upper bound for the error in a Taylor series can be found using the Lagrange error bound formula: |R_n(x)| <= M(x-a)^(n+1)/(n+1)! where M is the maximum value of the (n+1)th derivative of the function on the interval [a,x].

What are some common applications of Taylor series in real life?

Taylor series are commonly used in physics and engineering to approximate the behavior of physical systems. They are also used in finance to calculate interest rates and in computer graphics to create realistic animations.