Keep fear alive - Rally to Restore Sanity

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
132 replies · 20K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty good entertainment, too. I've never been a Kid Rock fan, but his number with Cheryl Crow was pretty good. "the least I can do is care"
 
I hope they don't burn the field to the ground. :biggrin: :rolleyes:
 
lisab said:
I'm enjoying it too :smile:.

:frown:

shows over.

was looking for breaking news commentary regarding the rally and found the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u7NB25xBwA

and knitting, and knitting... huh HA HA HA HAWWWWW!
I love Pee-Wee.

Anyways, I think it captured the essence of rally, in one minute, thirty eight seconds.

And just in case anyone missed the finale, here's a close approximation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvKRZRofDE

until they release the DVD boxed set.
 
turbo-1 said:
Stewart's closing remarks were great. Now watch the media pan it.

Jon's closing remarks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXmbzLI3pnk

And of course, some of the http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/jon-stewart-rally.html" wasn't bad.

I was caught off guard by the former Black Sabbath member & current spokesperson for the Mountain of Light being photographed together:

6a00d8341c630a53ef0134889687de970c-600wi.jpg


Though reading the lyrics to Mr. Ozbourne's incomprehensible singing, made me realize that the song may have been very apropos to the event:

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...g=AFQjCNHFm8sJbJs0SOstZ4BFJLq6z8WwBQ&cad=rjt"
...

Heirs of a cold war
That's what we've become
Inheriting troubles
I'm mentally numb
Crazy, I just can not bare
I'm living with something that just isn't fair

Mental wounds not healing
Who and what's to blame
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it in bits and pieces on the news. I did see the closing speech live and it was very impressive.

I was so busy this morning that I didn't realize that it would be shown live on Comedy Central starting at 9:00 AM my time. I hope they re run it.
 
edward said:
I saw it in bits and pieces on the news. I did see the closing speech live and it was very impressive.

I was so busy this morning that I didn't realize that it would be shown live on Comedy Central starting at 9:00 AM my time. I hope they re run it.
I didn't see all of it, either, but would like to. I missed Ozzie, for instance. Not my favorite musician, but I'm glad he chipped in.
 
The closing speech by Jon Stewart was fantastic. My favourite quote:

Most Americans don’t live their lives solely as Democrats or Republicans. Most Americans live their lives just a little bit late for something they have to do.

And although that line is quotable, the whole of what he had to say was inspiring.

It's an event I would have loved to attend. The mass of people on the Mall was truly impressive. Has anyone seen hard number yet?
 
GeorginaS said:
The closing speech by Jon Stewart was fantastic. My favourite quote:

Most Americans don’t live their lives solely as Democrats or Republicans. Most Americans live their lives just a little bit late for something they have to do.

And although that line is quotable, the whole of what he had to say was inspiring.

It's an event I would have loved to attend. The mass of people on the Mall was truly impressive. Has anyone seen hard number yet?

The number was between one hundred and fifty thousand, and ten million.

You decide...


http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/10/just-how-big-was-the-stewart-colbert-rally.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDALorfjBig
 
I'd believe the 150, OmCheeto. Press releases said they had a permit for sixty thousand.

Favourite rally sign that I saw:

I'm going for sushi. Who's coming with me?!

followed closely by

Don't be mean.

:biggrin:

More

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/10/30/in-photos-signs-from-the-rally-to-restore-sanity-andor-fear/"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
GeorginaS said:
I'd believe the 150, OmCheeto. Press releases said they had a permit for sixty thousand.

Favourite rally sign that I saw:

I'm going for sushi. Who's coming with me?!

followed closely by

Don't be mean.

:biggrin:

More

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/10/30/in-photos-signs-from-the-rally-to-restore-sanity-andor-fear/"

The signs were *awesome*!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-100-best-signs-at-the-rally-to-restore-sanity"

I must admit -- lots of people are really, really funny.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of pics here, not many signs.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Rally-Restore-Sanity/ss/events/pl/103010restoresanity/im:/101030/ids_photos_ts/r1107070772.jpg/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
GeorginaS said:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-100-best-signs-at-the-rally-to-restore-sanity"

I must admit -- lots of people are really, really funny.

I was beginning to wonder where America's sense of humor went. I think we just found it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
CBS has estimated the attendance at the rally to be 215,000

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20021284-503544.html
 
GeorginaS said:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-100-best-signs-at-the-rally-to-restore-sanity"

I must admit -- lots of people are really, really funny.

It would be fun to do a poll of which sign made people laugh the most.

enhanced-buzz-3178-1288473109-9.jpg


More tears.

:smile::cry::smile::smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There were more than a few winners in that bunch, OmCheeto. This one, though, made me laugh out loud more than once.

godhates.jpg


Okay, okay, and this one

regret.jpg
 
Last edited:
Somewhat related by worthy of it's own thread perhaps is the criticism of the media coverage of politics (and everything else) in the 24/7 news cycle, which is now more like a continuous stream of redundancy.

At center of political action, people criticize campaign coverage
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_askamerica/20101030/pl_yblog_askamerica/at-center-of-political-action-people-are-sick-of-campaign-coverage

The subsequent video is about the "Rally to Restore Sanity"
http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/22747485

Interesting and thoughtful comments from attendees. Some criticized Bush for his contribution to the current state of affairs, but most interviewed expressed disappointment with Obama for failing to perform up to his potential.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
GeorginaS said:
The closing speech by Jon Stewart was fantastic. My favourite quote:

Most Americans don’t live their lives solely as Democrats or Republicans. Most Americans live their lives just a little bit late for something they have to do.
I liked this one: "We live in hard times, not the end times."
 
Astronuc said:
Interesting and thoughtful comments from attendees. Some criticized Bush for his contribution to the current state of affairs, but most interviewed expressed disappointment with Obama for failing to perform up to his potential.

What are you watching? That doesn't jive with the report that you posted.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
What are you watching? That doesn't jive with the report that you posted.

The second link - http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/22747485
How to re-ignite the Democratic base
1:35 criticism of Bush
1:55-2:45-3:30 criticism of Obama
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Interesting and thoughtful comments from attendees. Some criticized Bush for his contribution to the current state of affairs, but most interviewed expressed disappointment with Obama for failing to perform up to his potential.

I watched and didn't come away with that impression either, Astronuc. The people being interviewed were asked a specific question and the answers were what they included. So if they included more Obama commentary than Bush, that could very well have been an editing choice.

And even so, the first young fellow who they asked about Obama said that "Obama was supposed to be such a great leader and has done a lot of good things and even someone of his calibre couldn't turn the whole ship around" [loosely quoted] and to that I'd say that maybe reflects a misunderstanding or an underestimating of just what a disaster Obama walked into.
 
GeorginaS said:
I watched and didn't come away with that impression either, Astronuc. The people being interviewed were asked a specific question and the answers were what they included. So if they included more Obama commentary than Bush, that could very well have been an editing choice.

And even so, the first young fellow who they asked about Obama said that "Obama was supposed to be such a great leader and has done a lot of good things and even someone of his calibre couldn't turn the whole ship around" [loosely quoted] and to that I'd say that maybe reflects a misunderstanding or an underestimating of just what a disaster Obama walked into.
I simply relayed what was said. Clearly the Bush years have been a disaster for the US, but there is also disappointment with Obama, some of which may be related to the high expectations that were placed upon him.

I think Obama hasn't lead as well as he could, and he's too deferential to Pelosi and Reid, and he has to some extent practiced the same style of politics for which Republicans have been criticized. In that way, Obama is very similar to Bill Clinton.
 
GeorginaS said:
I watched and didn't come away with that impression either, Astronuc. The people being interviewed were asked a specific question and the answers were what they included. So if they included more Obama commentary than Bush, that could very well have been an editing choice.

And even so, the first young fellow who they asked about Obama said that "Obama was supposed to be such a great leader and has done a lot of good things and even someone of his calibre couldn't turn the whole ship around" [loosely quoted] and to that I'd say that maybe reflects a misunderstanding or an underestimating of just what a disaster Obama walked into.

I thought the comments reflected a broad range of opinions which coincide with the opinions I've seen before regarding Obama:

Progressives: He hasn't done enough.
Dems: He's doing stuff.
Reps: He's done too much, and it should be undone.
Me: I think he's done about as well as anyone could, given the circumstances.

But I think we're getting off topic. The rally wasn't about Obama or Bush. It was about the insanity of the media, and the nut job army of mindless zombies that follow it.

Hopefully, they won't come and eat my brain tonight. :eek:
 
mheslep said:
What the heck is that nut job Yusuf Islam, AKA Cat Stevens, doing up there? This is the same Yusuf that said Salman Rushdie "must be killed" because, of course, "if someone defames the prophet, then he must die." Great Peace Train.

hmmm... Looks pretty bad.


wiki said:
In response, Yusuf Islam said that his comments were "stupid and offensive jokes," made in "bad taste." Yusuf Islam also said that later in the same program he non-jokingly promised to accept the judgement of a British court if it found Rushdie innocent of any crime, blasphemy or otherwise. In another interview Yusuf Islam said that his statements were merely giving his interpretation of Islamic law.

I think he may have written a prophetic song about himself, many, many years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cpX1ZjuaiA

He's still young. It's his fault.

I've said many a foolish thing in my lifetime in jest, that were misinterpreted. I just hope they never show up on wiki.