Keep Getting Junk Mail from Microsoft

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary: I doubt it is Microsoft, but it's easy to copy the pages.In summary, the user is having problems with Microsoft-related e-mails coming into their Hotmail account. The user has tried reporting the messages as junk, but they keep appearing. The user is wondering if the messages are from Microsoft or not, and whether or not they can opt out of them.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, hope this is the right forum for this:

I use Hotmail in my Windows 8 PC. My problem is that I keep getting junk from Microsoft; from Bing, from MSN Rewards, etc. I have selected these messages (within Hotmail, in the drop menu) and reported them as junk many times now, but the junk filter does not seem to be working ; I keep receiving Microsoft-related e-mail . What can I do to block Microsoft -related e-mails for good?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If they are really from Microsoft, have you tried looking for an unsubscribe link on the bottom? I don't use hotmail but do they have a filter option to automatically delete emails from certain addresses?

If they really are from microsoft you can opt out of them but be careful ... if they are NOT from microsoft selecting "unsubscribe" is just as dangerous as any other click in the body of such an email.

Thanks, both , I have instead repeatedly tagged the messages as junk. These are messages about changes/updates to Bing, adds for Office 365, Xboxes , etc. with sending addresses like:

microsoft@e.microsoft.com
bingrewards@e.microsoft.com

I assume this is genuine Microsoft, since I think they own the .microsoft domain.

WWGD said:
Thanks, both , I have instead repeatedly tagged the messages as junk. These are messages about changes/updates to Bing, adds for Office 365, Xboxes , etc. with sending addresses like:

microsoft@e.microsoft.com
bingrewards@e.microsoft.com

I assume this is genuine Microsoft, since I think they own the .microsoft domain.

and what makes you think that the domain e.microsoft.com IS microsoft.com ? I would certainly not assume that at all !

phinds said:
and what makes you think that the domain e.microsoft.com IS microsoft.com ? I would certainly not assume that at all !

Well, but it is also because of the products they advertise, all Microsoft products: tablets, Xboxes, Office, etc.

P.S: Interesting how the spellchecker corrects the spelling of Microsoft. Wonder if the same is the case
for other corporations.

WWGD said:
Well, but it is also because of the products they advertise, all Microsoft products: tablets, Xboxes, Office, etc.

P.S: Interesting how the spellchecker corrects the spelling of Microsoft. Wonder if the same is the case
for other corporations.

You are missing my point. The "e dot" means it probably has nothing to do with Microsoft. I can put up a domain called phinds.microsoft.com Would you assume that is Microsoft or not? Why? Because "phinds" is longer than "e" ?

It MIGHT be Microsoft, but I'd bet against it.

Well, maybe they are just retailers of Microsoft products. But I keep junking them and they keep reappearing.

WWGD said:
Well, maybe they are just retailers of Microsoft products.
Why would you think that?

But I keep junking them and they keep reappearing.
Doesn't that give you a clue?

phinds said:

QUOTE]

Because they are not viruses ( I opened them at school, where they have Norton's antivirus) , and they
advertise Microsoft products. They don't ask you to reply, nor do they give you links to
click on (other than the link to the privacy statement, which links to an actual privacy statement* --see below), they don't ask you for money, so it does not seem like a scam.

And at the end of each message, there is the text:

Microsoft respects your privacy. Please view our online http://e.microsoft.com/Key-373101.C.JfyP.F.K2.-.nDXKJ4y [Broken] (** Mine: which links to an actual privacy statement **).

To set your contact preferences for Microsoft communications, click here. These settings will not affect any mandatory service communications that are considered part of certain Microsoft services.

Microsoft Office
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA
98052 USA

Bing and MSN Privacy Statement
This privacy statement applies to Bing and MSN websites, services, products and applications that collect data and display these terms. It does not apply to other Microsoft products and services that do not link to the Bing and MSN Privacy Statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
phinds said:

Doesn't that give you a clue?

They don't ask you to click anywhere, no request for money, and no suggested links other than two:
1) for their privacy statement, which links to an actual Microsoft privacy statement, and,
2) Terms of Service: Links to a page with actual terms of service for Microsoft

WWGD said:
They don't ask you to click anywhere, no request for money, and no suggested links other than two:
1) for their privacy statement, which links to an actual Microsoft privacy statement, and,
2) Terms of Service: Links to a page with actual terms of service for Microsoft

Well, then it sounds like it IS microsoft, even though I would have bet against it. On the other hand, copying those pages is easy. Do ANY of the links actually point to a url that starts with "microsoft.", not "<something>.microsoft" ?

phinds said:
I can put up a domain called phinds.microsoft.com

And how are you going to do it? I can be missing some fine points, but technically that would be a subdomain of microsoft.com, and to be able to use it in any practical way you need access to microsoft.com DNS. Sure, you may be good/lucky enough to hack it, but other than that - I don't see how.

I have never used hotmail so can't say with any certainty, but if it is a free service, owned by Microsoft, junk mail form them is probably just a price you pay for the "free" service. Live with it.

Borek said:
And how are you going to do it? I can be missing some fine points, but technically that would be a subdomain of microsoft.com, and to be able to use it in any practical way you need access to microsoft.com DNS. Sure, you may be good/lucky enough to hack it, but other than that - I don't see how.

I have never used hotmail so can't say with any certainty, but if it is a free service, owned by Microsoft, junk mail form them is probably just a price you pay for the "free" service. Live with it.
Well, I thought I earned the free e-mail when I (as many others ) served as a guinea pig for
many years for Microsoft's bug-ridden operating systems, put out early in order to be the first one out in the market. I am too poor to afford a Mac , and not computer-savvy-enough to run Linux or related.

Last edited:
Borek said:

OK, maybe I have that backwards. Maybe it's Microsoft.phinds.com that I could do. I was thinking that the root is first, but are you saying whatever comes LAST in the URL (before the ".com" is the root? Now that I think about it, I guess that's right. I had a subsite for my son and as I recall it was robert.phinds.com, not phinds.robert.com --- that would all mean that e.microsoft DOES belong to Microsoft.

phinds said:
Maybe it's Microsoft.phinds.com that I could do.

Yes, that's the way it works.

Borek said:
Yes, that's the way it works.

Yes, this absolutely makes sense now that I actually THINK about it. "phinds.com" IS the root, clearly.

Borek said:
This.

Mark44 said:
This.
WWGD said:
Well, I thought I earned the free e-mail when I (as many others ) served as a guinea pig for
many years for Microsoft's bug-ridden operating systems, put out early in order to be the first one out in the market. I am too poor to afford a Mac , and not computer-savvy-enough to run Linux or related.

This.That.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, could you guys stop with the "this" and throw in a "that" every now and then?

Mark44 said:
Fixed it for you...

Better, thanks :p

phinds said:
Hey, could you guys stop with the "this" and throw in a "that" every now and then?

How about a 'these' , 'those' and/or 'there'?

Mark44 said:
Fixed it for you...

There.

1. Why am I getting so much junk mail from Microsoft?

There are a few reasons why you may be receiving a lot of junk mail from Microsoft. One possibility is that you have subscribed to a Microsoft product or service, and they are sending you promotional emails. Another reason could be that your email address has been added to a mailing list without your consent. Additionally, scammers may be using Microsoft's name to send fraudulent emails.

2. How do I stop getting junk mail from Microsoft?

To stop receiving junk mail from Microsoft, you can unsubscribe from their promotional emails by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email. You can also mark the emails as spam, which will automatically send them to your spam folder. If you are receiving fraudulent emails, you can report them to Microsoft's security team.

3. Is it safe to open emails from Microsoft?

Generally, it is safe to open emails from Microsoft if you are subscribed to their services or have requested to receive promotional emails from them. However, it is important to be cautious of any suspicious emails claiming to be from Microsoft, as they could be scams attempting to steal your personal information. It is always recommended to verify the sender's email address and exercise caution when clicking on any links or attachments.

4. Can I block all emails from Microsoft?

Yes, you can block all emails from Microsoft by adding their email domain to your email provider's blocked list. However, this may also block important emails from Microsoft that you may want to receive, such as account updates or security notifications. It is recommended to only block specific email addresses or mark unwanted emails as spam instead.

5. How did Microsoft get my email address?

There are a few ways Microsoft could have obtained your email address. If you have subscribed to any of their products or services, they may have collected your email address during the sign-up process. Your email address may also have been obtained through a data breach or by being added to a mailing list without your consent. It is important to regularly review your privacy settings and be cautious of what personal information you share online to prevent your email address from being shared without your permission.