Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keep Getting Junk Mail from Microsoft

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, hope this is the right forum for this:

I use Hotmail in my Windows 8 PC. My problem is that I keep getting junk from Microsoft; from Bing, from MSN Rewards, etc. I have selected these messages (within Hotmail, in the drop menu) and reported them as junk many times now, but the junk filter does not seem to be working ; I keep receiving Microsoft-related e-mail . What can I do to block Microsoft -related e-mails for good?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they are really from Microsoft, have you tried looking for an unsubscribe link on the bottom? I don't use hotmail but do they have a filter option to automatically delete emails from certain addresses?

4. Oct 25, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If they really are from microsoft you can opt out of them but be careful ... if they are NOT from microsoft selecting "unsubscribe" is just as dangerous as any other click in the body of such an email.

5. Oct 26, 2014 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, both , I have instead repeatedly tagged the messages as junk. These are messages about changes/updates to Bing, adds for Office 365, Xboxes , etc. with sending addresses like:

microsoft@e.microsoft.com
    bingrewards@e.microsoft.com

I assume this is genuine Microsoft, since I think they own the .microsoft domain.

6. Oct 26, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

and what makes you think that the domain e.microsoft.com IS microsoft.com ??? I would certainly not assume that at all !

7. Oct 26, 2014 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, but it is also because of the products they advertise, all Microsoft products: tablets, Xboxes, Office, etc.

P.S: Interesting how the spellchecker corrects the spelling of Microsoft. Wonder if the same is the case
    for other corporations.

8. Oct 26, 2014 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are missing my point. The "e dot" means it probably has nothing to do with Microsoft. I can put up a domain called phinds.microsoft.com Would you assume that is Microsoft or not? Why? Because "phinds" is longer than "e" ?

It MIGHT be Microsoft, but I'd bet against it.

9. Oct 26, 2014 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, maybe they are just retailers of Microsoft products. But I keep junking them and they keep reappearing.

10. Oct 26, 2014 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would you think that?

Doesn't that give you a clue?

11. Oct 26, 2014 #10

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  12. Oct 26, 2014 #11

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They don't ask you to click anywhere, no request for money, and no suggested links other than two:
    1) for their privacy statement, which links to an actual Microsoft privacy statement, and,
    2) Terms of Service: Links to a page with actual terms of service for Microsoft

13. Oct 26, 2014 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, then it sounds like it IS microsoft, even though I would have bet against it. On the other hand, copying those pages is easy. Do ANY of the links actually point to a url that starts with "microsoft.", not "<something>.microsoft" ?

14. Oct 27, 2014 #13

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And how are you going to do it? I can be missing some fine points, but technically that would be a subdomain of microsoft.com, and to be able to use it in any practical way you need access to microsoft.com DNS. Sure, you may be good/lucky enough to hack it, but other than that - I don't see how.

I have never used hotmail so can't say with any certainty, but if it is a free service, owned by Microsoft, junk mail form them is probably just a price you pay for the "free" service. Live with it.

15. Oct 27, 2014 #14

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I thought I earned the free e-mail when I (as many others ) served as a guinea pig for
    many years for Microsoft's bug-ridden operating systems, put out early in order to be the first one out in the market. I am too poor to afford a Mac , and not computer-savvy-enough to run Linux or related.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  16. Oct 27, 2014 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, maybe I have that backwards. Maybe it's Microsoft.phinds.com that I could do. I was thinking that the root is first, but are you saying whatever comes LAST in the URL (before the ".com" is the root? Now that I think about it, I guess that's right. I had a subsite for my son and as I recall it was robert.phinds.com, not phinds.robert.com --- that would all mean that e.microsoft DOES belong to Microsoft.

17. Oct 27, 2014 #16

Borek

Yes, that's the way it works.

18. Oct 27, 2014 #17

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, this absolutely makes sense now that I actually THINK about it. "phinds.com" IS the root, clearly.

19. Oct 27, 2014 #18

Mark44

This.

20. Oct 27, 2014 #19

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This.That.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  21. Oct 27, 2014 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hey, could you guys stop with the "this" and throw in a "that" every now and then?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook