1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kepler's 2nd.law and calculation

1. Dec 20, 2013 #1
    Hello,

While dealing with Kepler's 2nd.law, when calculating the area of the triangle which sweeps out:

Area of a triangle = 1/2 base x height

Now, we know dθ = dx/r (where dx = arc length, r=radius)

So, dx= rdθ

So, area of a triangle = 1/2 base(rdθ) x height(h)

Is this correct?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If dx is defined to be something like an "arc length in tangential direction", yes. It is not the actual arc length if the motion is not circular.

4. Dec 20, 2013 #3

K^2

Science Advisor

Keep in mind that Kepler's Second Law is just another way of saying that angular momentum is conserved. In other words, ##\omega r^2## is a constant. Keeping in mind that for a small section h = r, this is in agreement with what you wrote.

5. Dec 20, 2013 #4
    Thank you very much for letting me clear the confusion.

6. Dec 22, 2013 #5

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Hope I'm not going to regenerate the confusion, but for an elliptical orbit there are just two places where the triangle area is given by [itex]\frac{1}{2} r\ ds = \frac{1}{2} rv\ dt[/itex], and those are the two ends of the major axis. [I'm using ds as infinitesimal portion of arc length, r as distance from focus and v as speed of orbiting body.]

At every other point, r and ds are not perpendicular to each other, so a sine or cosine factor has to be inserted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook