1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kernel and Range of a Linear Mapping

1. May 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the kernel and range of the following linear mapping.

b) The mapping T from [itex]P^{R} to P^{R}_{2}[/itex] defined by

[itex]T(p(x)) = p(2) + p(1)x + p(0)x^{2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to go about this one. Normally I would use the formula T(x) = A * v but in this case I don't know how to find A or v. Would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advanced.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume you know that the kernel is the set mapped to 0. T(p(x))= 0 (for all x) if and only if p(2)= p(1)= p(0)= 0.

And the range is the entire set PR2. Do you see why?

4. May 7, 2013 #3
    Yes I know that the kernel is the set that is mapped to 0. I think I'm just having trouble with understanding what [itex]T(p(x)) = p(2) + p(1)x + p(0)x^{2}[/itex] actual means. It's a bit too general for me. What is [itex]p(x)[/itex]? Is that saying that the power representation for [itex]p(x)[/itex] is [itex]p(2) + p(1)x + p(0)x^{2} [/itex]? Or the mapping of the power series [itex]p(x)[/itex] from [itex]P^{R}[/itex] to [itex]P^{R}_{2}[/itex] results in [itex]p(2) + p(1)x + p(0)x{2}[/itex]

I think I understand why the range is the entire set [itex]P^{R}_{2}[/itex], because if the kernel only contains the zero vector then the range must contain everything else?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted