Kerry's speech calling for and suggesting an exit strategy from Iraq

• News
  • Thread starter Skyhunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strategy
In summary, John Kerry discusses his plan for the future of Iraq in his speech "The Kerry Plan: The Path Forward." He believes that a precipitous withdrawal or an indefinite large presence of American combat troops will not solve the insurgency in Iraq. Instead, he proposes a simultaneous pursuit of political settlement and withdrawal of American troops based on specific, responsible benchmarks. He also calls for the Bush administration to provide a detailed plan for the transfer of military and police responsibilities to Iraqis. Kerry argues that history has shown that guns alone cannot end an insurgency, and that a political solution is necessary. He also suggests that other countries should take on a larger role in rebuilding Iraq.
pattylou said:
If he got into the white house through fraud, then it is wrong to hold the American people responsible.

Not trying to flame you (I'm actually with you on this), but if he *did* get elected and re-elected through fraud, then impeach him. If your legal bloodhounds can take out a popular sitting President because he couldn't keep it in his pants, then sure as heck you should be able to take out the present incumbent for lying, fabricating evidence and starting a war of aggression that continues to kill thousands.

You are a democracy. A real one. Why aren't you taking Bush down or at least attempting to find out the truth of these matters ? Why don't the public clamour for a full public enquiry on the alleged voter fraud, on the justifications for the Iraq war and the current business of America in that region ?

If enough voices are raised, if enough people throng the streets, then the administration has no choice but to listen to you. But I don't see this happening, therefore, surely the American people must bear some blame for inaction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Curious3141 said:
Not trying to flame you (I'm actually with you on this), but if he *did* get elected and re-elected through fraud, then impeach him. If your legal bloodhounds can take out a popular sitting President because he couldn't keep it in his pants, then sure as heck you should be able to take out the present incumbent for lying, fabricating evidence and starting a war of aggression that continues to kill thousands.
You are a democracy. A real one. Why aren't you taking Bush down or at least attempting to find out the truth of these matters ? Why don't the public clamour for a full public enquiry on the alleged voter fraud, on the justifications for the Iraq war and the current business of America in that region ?
If enough voices are raised, if enough people throng the streets, then the administration has no choice but to listen to you. But I don't see this happening, therefore, surely the American people must bear some blame for inaction.
There are a couple of things going here that you may not be aware of ... Impeachment must happen as a result of the house acting.

Clinton, in the latter part of his 'rule' didn't have the support of the house.

Bush holds a majority in the house.

So, unless there is something revealed that is so henous that even the Republicans would shun him, (and even The Downing Street Memo wasn't enough) you've got about as much chance of making a snowman in hell.

Remember, the Clinto thing started over a controversy over Whitewater and had nothing to do with his sexual proclivities. Star failed to find anything on the one thing and, because he had started, began to expand the scope of the investigation.

Unchecked, a fishing expedition like this can bring down the Pope.

I think the Republicans fear this style of investigation because if it ever came to pass, they KNOW there are a laundry list of skeletons that will ensure the Republicans will nerver regain power (Like the Conservatives in the UK)

The Smoking Man said:
There are a couple of things going here that you may not be aware of ... Impeachment must happen as a result of the house acting.
Clinton, in the latter part of his 'rule' didn't have the support of the house.
Bush holds a majority in the house.
So, unless there is something revealed that is so henous that even the Republicans would shun him, (and even The Downing Street Memo wasn't enough) you've got about as much chance of making a snowman in hell.
Remember, the Clinto thing started over a controversy over Whitewater and had nothing to do with his sexual proclivities. Star failed to find anything on the one thing and, because he had started, began to expand the scope of the investigation.
Unchecked, a fishing expedition like this can bring down the Pope.
I think the Republicans fear this style of investigation because if it ever came to pass, they KNOW there are a laundry list of skeletons that will ensure the Republicans will nerver regain power (Like the Conservatives in the UK)

What a sad state of affairs, and what hypocrites the Repubs are. Thanks for the clarification, BTW. :)

Curious3141 said:
Do you follow the vote fraud updates I regularly post?

The government accountability office released a report a week ago. It helps to move the "vote fraud" topic from crackpot theory land to a more legitimate place.

I think it may give lawyers recourse to demand memory cards for audit, for example. And if they find some that have thrown results, I am certain there will be an impeachment.

pattylou said:
Do you follow the vote fraud updates I regularly post?
The government accountability office released a report a week ago. It helps to move the "vote fraud" topic from crackpot theory land to a more legitimate place.
I think it may give lawyers recourse to demand memory cards for audit, for example. And if they find some that have thrown results, I am certain there will be an impeachment.
That would only prove fraud, not culpability. And by last count Republicans still have the House.

I doubt all republicans will stand by their man if it is shown that memory cards were swapped in key states.

Voinovich comes to mind.

It's true that culpability must be demonstrated. Still, standing by Bush in the face of a hypothetical demonstration of (deliberate, premeditated) election fraud, would be *almost* tantamount to condoning the behavior. I would be surprised if all republicans make that choice.

Skyhunter said:
The first proved to be a lie.
And they have done as good a job with the second two as they did with Katrina.
Maybe getting out is what it takes.
Agreed. The first was a lie. The second is illegal. The third has been botched.

I've said it before -- No matter what Kerry's performance may have been in other matters (domestic), we would have gained international/UN help with Iraq. Not only because of the changing of the guard, but also because of Kerry's background of living in Germany, retaining a residence in France, speaking French fluently, etc. Our troops would be drawing down at this moment, and probably completely out after the December election.

SOS2008 said:
Agreed. The first was a lie. The second is illegal. The third has been botched.
I've said it before -- No matter what Kerry's performance may have been in other matters (domestic), we would have gained international/UN help with Iraq. Not only because of the changing of the guard, but also because of Kerry's background of living in Germany, retaining a residence in France, speaking French fluently, etc. Our troops would be drawing down at this moment, and probably completely out after the December election.
Exactly the reasons I voted for Kerry.

At least I think I did?

Without a paper trail there is no way to know for sure.:tongue: