KIC 8462852 (dipping again in March 2018)

• A
  • Thread starter craigi
  • Start date
In summary: KIC 8462852 is a star that has been exhibiting strange dips in brightness, which some are suggesting could be due to an alien presence.
nikkkom said:
Well, sending signals would not require 20% of star's power output. Not even 0.0001% is necessary
I thank you for the magnitude estimate but I still wonder how the signal would survive a journey through traumatic space and be received and recognized, etc. Dimming a star just seems like a good lighthouse type signal that seems "doable". That's all I was getting at.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
@jerromyjon: Arecibo can send signals that an Arecibo-like receiver could pick up from tens of light years away with sufficient data rate to note its artificial content (prime numbers or whatever) and transmit some basic data over a few days or whatever. Transmitting signals over 1500 light years would need a better sender, but it is still something we could design today (at immense cost, but within current technology). Blocking 20% or even 0.01% of the starlight in a coordinated way is completely out of reach for our current level of technology.

@Pdgenoa: If there is a Dyson sphere somewhere we can recognize it as made by aliens. No one doubts that.
But if there is no Dyson sphere, it doesn't mean there are no aliens. And that direction is the problem.

We can rule out the hypothesis "comet swarm" with more data. We cannot rule out the hypothesis "aliens". Falsifiability is one of the most fundamental principles of science, and the alien hypothesis is not falsifiable.

Likes jerromyjon
Drakkith said:
...The push to accept an extraterrestrial explanation ...

nikkkom said:
... Extraterrestrial explanation is...

All of astronomy has "extraterrestrial" explanations except maybe some lunar and near Earth orbits. Perhaps you intend to mean biological, sentient, or artificial?

mfb said:
Can you give an example of possible observations that would rule out alien influence?

We don't even have to go to other stars. Can you rule out that aliens assembled Pluto?..

I would be quite happy to see a model of a solid film forming in a vacuum and growing to planet size. Could be a valuable patent, certainly interesting.

Pluto-Charon looks like a planet formed by accretion. Hard to imagine a motive.

stefan r said:
Pluto-Charon looks like a planet formed by accretion. Hard to imagine a motive.
How dare you recall it a planet...

and what does that make nix and hydra...

nikkkom said:
I think you are a bit too harsh. Extraterrestrial explanation is a "serious" contenter (it _is_ possible, it's not insane or totally stupid).

I disagree that a "serious" contender is one that simply isn't outright impossible.

Pdgenoa said:
To those reading this thread take note of the tone of my posts and the tone of this one: personal, emotional.

And also logical. Your support for your assertions so far has been "we can't rule it out therefor we should take it seriously". That's not how one does science. The "serious" contenders are the ones that we think are most probable based on our prior experience and current knowledge. That's where you start and that's where you begin to rule out the various possibilities.

Pdgenoa said:
This person has also done what a few other replies have done and characterize my assertion that the extraterrestrial hypothesis be a "serious" contender. I've only ever said it should be a contender and taken seriously.

Those are equivalent in many people's view.

Pdgenoa said:
This reply makes my point better than I've been able that there's a societal bias whenever the subject of extraterrestrials (in any context) comes up. It's not this person or anyone else's fault since it's been pushed in our culture for over fifty years. The impulse to shrug off, ridicule, dismiss, and in the case of the scientific community looked down on with derision. We have generations that have been marinated in the stereotypes of people taking aliens as serious as being crackpots, eccentric and unhinged. While it's pretty easy to understand where this bias came from it has no business in the scientific community.

Nonsense. We have hundreds of years of experience in explaining unknown phenomena and so far exactly zero of them have been attributed to extraterrestrials. On a list of possible explanations for the peculiar light curves of KIC 8462852, extraterrestrial aliens are so far down that they fall well outside the "serious" or "likely" sections. I'd put it in the "neat, but extremely unlikely" section at best.

stefan r said:
All of astronomy has "extraterrestrial" explanations except maybe some lunar and near Earth orbits. Perhaps you intend to mean biological, sentient, or artificial?

Sentient extraterrestrial life.

mfb said:
If there is a Dyson sphere somewhere we can recognize it as made by aliens. No one doubts that.
But if there is no Dyson sphere, it doesn't mean there are no aliens. And that direction is the problem.

I doubt that. And agree that there is a problem.

I can write about Dyson spheres because I do not have a telescope (at least not one worth mentioning). I do not have a lab. There is no budget for future projects that may be compromised by weird publicity. My employment would not be effected even if I was diagnosed insane or senile.

If you see evidence for a Dyson sphere the right thing to do is categorize it as a Vega type star. Then you should get more/better data. It would be a disservice to the public, your students, and/or your coworkers if you lose access. In the current social/political environment the right thing to do is not report what you believe you saw. Just document hard data so that someone in a future and less hostile environment can access your data and put together long term trends.

--
Note that KIC8462852 does not look like a Vega type star.

jerromyjon said:
How dare you recall it a planet...
I get the joke but I want to point out that a "dwarf" planet is still a planet the same as a human with dwarfism is still a human

*additionally: suck it NDT!

Pdgenoa said:
I get the joke but I want to point out that a "dwarf" planet is still a planet
R.I.P. formally planet known as Pluto in tribute to the artist formerly known as Prince... :biggrin:

Likes Pdgenoa
Pdgenoa said:
I get the joke but I want to point out that a "dwarf" planet is still a planet the same as a human with dwarfism is still a human

No it isn't. Per the IAU:

The IAU therefore resolves that planets and other bodies, except satellites, in our Solar System be defined into three distinct categories in the following way:
(1) A planet1 is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

(2) A "dwarf planet" is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape2, (c) has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit, and (d)is not a satellite.

Planets and dwarf planets are in two distinct categories. A dwarf planet is not a subtype of planet, despite what the name leads you to believe.

The star keeps dipping. A fourth dip started, at more than 1.5% and potentially still getting deeper.

09f35d_1a8732fc14c54a32879bec9e227195f5~mv2.png

From here

Independent observations

Likes Drakkith
I'm just wondering, what is our resolving power at those distances, i.e. what can we eliminate...
also is there any point in point an x-ray telescope at it?

Hubble has an angular resolution of ~0.05 arcseconds, at 1300 light years this corresponds to 20 AU. VLT in interferometry mode can reach 0.004 arcseconds, corresponding to 1.6 AU. This does not mean you could see anything a few AU away from the star, however: It is roughly a billion times brighter than possible planets.
ELT will get a 108 contrast for 0.03 arcseconds separation (~12 AU), if there is something bright far away from the star that could be visible. 2024+The fourth dip is over, peak dimming was a bit more than 2%.

09f35d_7bd6a86a73054b1e977995a933627186~mv2.png

Likes Borg
smartalek86 said:

Probably. I don't think the interval between dips is short enough or regular enough to be explained by such a planet, which, according to the article, is a type of "hot Jupiter". These planets general have an orbital period of a few days and they cause predictable dips in the light curve instead of erratic dips.

There is some periodic structure, but nothing a single planet could do. The dips observed by Kepler are way too deep for any sort of planet, and they also last too long and have a structure too complex for a planet.

Multiple planets with ring systems are possible.

smartalek86 said:

Alien fifth graders making a mega-structure does not have any evidence that I can find. :alien: Would be a sub category in "aliens made it". A megastructure made out of polystyrene seams as plausible as aluminum, steel, shell (silica, calcium carbonate), or spider silk. Any would still be a remarkable find.

A polystyrene foam with density 0.05 g/cm2 and Earth radius would collapse into high density polystyrene. High temperatures and pressure would then modify the chemistry. I believe a Jupiter mass planet made out of an equal parts mix of hydrogen and carbon would be denser than Jupiter. Adding more mass does not increase the volume. Brown dwarfs are close to Jupiter's volume. A hollow shell with 20X Jupiter's surface might not collapse. It is hard to explain how that would come to exist.

Astronomers have found low density planets with radii larger than Jupiter. The article referred to KELT 11b. Hot Jupiter planets orbit close to stars and are hot. The high temperatures help explain the low densities. A 760 day orbit would not add much more heat than Earth gets from the sun (per square meter).

The thing around KIC 8468252 would have to have 1/5th KIC 8468252's cross section in order to block enough light. A hot surface radiates infrared radiation. When a hot Jupiter passes in front of a star the infrared should drop less than the measured visible light. When a hot Jupiter passes behind a star the measured infrared drops but visible light will measure normal for that star.

As a hot Jupiter sphere revolves the visible light should gradually change as the light reflecting off the surface waxes and wanes. Like full moon to new moon phase cycles. The reflected light also eclipses when the planet passes behind the star. The object around KIC 8468252 could be extremely dark and/or not a sphere.

stefan r said:
Alien fifth graders making a mega-structure does not have any evidence that I can find. :alien: Would be a sub category in "aliens made it". A megastructure made out of polystyrene seams as plausible as aluminum, steel, shell (silica, calcium carbonate), or spider silk. Any would still be a remarkable find.

A polystyrene foam with density 0.05 g/cm2 and Earth radius would collapse into high density polystyrene. High temperatures and pressure would then modify the chemistry. I believe a Jupiter mass planet made out of an equal parts mix of hydrogen and carbon would be denser than Jupiter. Adding more mass does not increase the volume. Brown dwarfs are close to Jupiter's volume. A hollow shell with 20X Jupiter's surface might not collapse. It is hard to explain how that would come to exist.

Astronomers have found low density planets with radii larger than Jupiter. The article referred to KELT 11b. Hot Jupiter planets orbit close to stars and are hot. The high temperatures help explain the low densities. A 760 day orbit would not add much more heat than Earth gets from the sun (per square meter).

The thing around KIC 8468252 would have to have 1/5th KIC 8468252's cross section in order to block enough light. A hot surface radiates infrared radiation. When a hot Jupiter passes in front of a star the infrared should drop less than the measured visible light. When a hot Jupiter passes behind a star the measured infrared drops but visible light will measure normal for that star.

As a hot Jupiter sphere revolves the visible light should gradually change as the light reflecting off the surface waxes and wanes. Like full moon to new moon phase cycles. The reflected light also eclipses when the planet passes behind the star. The object around KIC 8468252 could be extremely dark and/or not a sphere.
Hot Jupiter's also make the star itself wobble which there is no evidence for there. Whatever is passing in front of the star seems to have negligible mass.

newjerseyrunner said:
Hot Jupiter's also make the star itself wobble which there is no evidence for there. Whatever is passing in front of the star seems to have negligible mass.

This article claims they only measured within 400 m/s radial velocity. In their model they have a planet with orbital period ~12 years and trojans making the 2 year events. They calculate total mass less than 130 Jupiters.

The ESO has HARPS installed on a telescope and they claim 1 m/s velocity measurements. They built one for the northern hemisphere but measurements of KIC 8462852 did not come up in a google search. I would not call 1/4th Jupiter mass "negligible".

Likes newjerseyrunner
A conglomeration of dark matter?

Simon Peach said:

Unlikely. The dark matter model that best fits the available evidence points towards dark matter which doesn't conglomerate.

Simon Peach said:

"Dark matter" is a single concept. Does not mean the same thing as "matter which is dark". In order to be "dark matter" it does not emit, adsorb, or reflect light.

Likes mfb
Yeah, the dust "proof" settles everything.

Except the gradual, century long dimming.
Or the periodic brightening of the star.
Or why the dust hasn't been pulled into the star if it's in the system.
Or how dust that's far away but in between us and it could have such dramatic occlusion.

So I'm just SURE this hypothesis won't end up like the past 27 hypotheses.
Yeah.

Do you have a reference that dust cannot explain these?

Spitzer measured infrared at 4.5μm . If a black body at 370 degrees C it should radiate 4.5μm radiation. Is there a way to distinguish between a filter that blocks only UV and a filter that blocks some of everything and also emits lower frequencies? The temperature on Mercury's equator rises over 400C.

During January and February, the star is too close to the Sun for observations. Measurements resumed two weeks ago, and since March 16 the star shows another dip. Currently 4% below the baseline, the deepest dip seen since the end of Kepler observations.

Image source and more information: tldr: DIPPING!

KIC_mar18.png

Attachments

• KIC_mar18.png
    KIC_mar18.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 634
Could it be that the visible star has two or more very large but non-luminous brown dwarf objects associated in that system?

mfb said:
A second dip just a week later. - probably ~5% but with infrequent measurements around the dip time.

View attachment 222859

How are they calculating the error?
How are they determining normal?

rootone said:
Could it be that the visible star has two or more very large but non-luminous brown dwarf objects associated in that system?
A brown dwarf has close to the same radius as Jupiter. A 4% dip requires more like 7 Jupiter sized objects.

Brown dwarf stars close to KIC8462852 would show some Doppler shift. There could be lots of cold brown dwarfs in many places.

rootone said:
It doesn't come in gradually, like a body transiting. It dims suddenly. And randomly.?

stefan r said:
How are they calculating the error?
How are they determining normal?
I don't know, see the linked web page for details. Kepler just normalized to the flux outside the dips, but the star seems to have a non-constant apparent magnitude outside the dips as well.
jerromyjon said:
It doesn't come in gradually, like a body transiting. It dims suddenly. And randomly.?
Compared to planet transits the dips have quite long slopes. Jupiter moves by 1 diameter in its orbit every 1.5 hours, but the dips start and end over 1-3 days.

newjerseyrunner said:
So the object in orbit is very close, has too little mass to create much of a wobble in the host star, but covers a surface area much larger than Jupiter?

Giant ring huh? Obviously a Halo joke, but it gave me an idea.

If you tipped Saturn on it's side like Uranus and put it close to the sun, would it block enough light? It'd be quite variable since sometimes you'd see the rings head on and it'd block only as much light as the planet disc itself, but sometimes you'd see the rings from "above" and it'd have a shadow of hundreds of thousands of miles.

If the planet is that close to the star, it's moons are probably quite active and could easily create a ring I wo
Saturn's rings have a radius of 120,000 km but are only partially opaque, whereas the Sun has a radius > 400,000 km. So at most, the rings would absorb about 8% if they were opaque and properly oriented wrt the star and properly oriented wrt us.

Note that there is no direction in which a star could see Saturn's rings oriented that way wrt to the Sun.

BTW, if Saturn were so oriented, then every time it passed between the Sun and that star, it would present the same face. That star would not see only the planet sometimes, and planet+rings other times.

JMz said:
BTW, if Saturn were so oriented, then every time it passed between the Sun and that star, it would present the same face.

Why?