Kim Jong Un Given 4-Star General Status at age 28

• News
  • Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age General
In summary, the conversation discusses the recent news reports and video footage from North Korea, including the documentary "Welcome to North Korea" and the potential succession of Kim Jong Un. Some members express hope that Un, who has been educated in the West, may have different values and bring change to the country. Others argue that dictators and politicians often choose belief systems based on governing strategy rather than personal beliefs. It is also mentioned that Kim Jong Il's eldest son, Kim Jong Nam, is opposed to the idea of dynastic succession and instead prefers to live in Macao. The concept of civic responsibility is also briefly mentioned.
mugaliens
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100928/ap_on_re_as/as_nkorea_succession" .

How embarrassing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mugaliens said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100928/ap_on_re_as/as_nkorea_succession" .

How embarrassing!

Did you see the news reports, the video footage. Chilling stuff - straight out of Orwell's 1984. What a place !

alt said:
Did you see the news reports, the video footage. Chilling stuff - straight out of Orwell's 1984. What a place !

You have to watch the documentary "Welcome to North Korea". Really is an eye opener

airborne18 said:
You have to watch the documentary "Welcome to North Korea". Really is an eye opener

Thanks - I've heard of it but haven't seen it. I'll see if I can get it.

I bet the 46 South Korean sailors died so that the young general could prove himself.

waht said:
I bet the 46 South Korean sailors died so that the young general could prove himself.

I wouldn't put it past that regime.

airborne18 said:

It's available on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=welcome+to+north+korea+documentary&aq=1". You even have two options, all 53 minutes at once, or broken into six parts!

Just finished the Welcome to North Korea documentary. It was filmed in 2001, two years before I moved to S. Korea.

Unbelievable. I was going to say "sad," but "pathetic" more aptly describes what that government has done to the people of that country. They citizenry are so brainwashed it's likely they honestly believe that Kim Jong Un is a diety and deserves his promotion.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_268_pBvPs&feature=fvw".

Not surprising, but maybe not bad either. Kim Jong Il is crazier than most... maybe Un will just be messianic and monomaniacal, but slightly more predictable. Here's to hoping.

nismaratwork said:
Not surprising, but maybe not bad either. Kim Jong Il is crazier than most... maybe Un will just be messianic and monomaniacal, but slightly more predictable. Here's to hoping.

One possible 'hope' is that Un has been educated it the West, and having being thus subjected to Western 'decadence', might find it preferable to the alternative extant in his country.

alt said:
One possible 'hope' is that Un has been educated it the West, and having being thus subjected to Western 'decadence', might find it preferable to the alternative extant in his country.

Which surprises me. You'd think he'd have been kept on a tight leash.

I don't think it's ignorance of the west that drives Kim Jong Il... just his people. After all, he enjoys liquor and movies... presumably he wanted to share the same stuff with his kid. It's the NK people who are in the dark.

nismaratwork said:
I don't think it's ignorance of the west that drives Kim Jong Il... just his people. After all, he enjoys liquor and movies... presumably he wanted to share the same stuff with his kid. It's the NK people who are in the dark.

Yes, but wouldn't you say kept in the dark by Il and his regime ? The old commie mentality that he's been brought up with, educated in, dies not at all (liquor, movies, and naked romps with nubile NK chicks notwithstanding).

I have generally noted though, that where a person is educated makes for a good dose of his formative years. Therefore, I was remarking that Un, though strident as his father might be on the outside, might have a different set of values on the inside - having a good taste of the West in his formative years.

Then again ..

I have always believed that dictators pick a belief system primarily as a governing strategy and that it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their actual beliefs.

Edit...for that matter, don't all politicians do that?

russ_watters said:
I have always believed that dictators pick a belief system primarily as a governing strategy and that it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their actual beliefs.

Edit...for that matter, don't all politicians do that?

Yes, and yes... in my view and experience.

nismaratwork said:

How much you want to bet he and his son have unlimited Internet access? (smirk)

Interestingly, I heard this story on the BBC this morning -

Kim Jong-il son speaks out against North Korean successionKim Jong-nam says he opposes hereditary transfer of leadership after younger half-brother tipped to become next ruler
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/12/kim-jong-il-son-opposes-dynasty

North Korea leader's eldest son 'opposes dynasty' Kim Jong-nam has said in the past that he has "no interest" in succeeding his father The eldest son of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il says he opposes a dynastic succession that would see his younger half-brother take power.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11520566

Maybe there is hope for the North Koreans. :uhh:

Of course he's opposed, if his brother is being chosen ahead of him.

G037H3 said:
Of course he's opposed, if his brother is being chosen ahead of him.
Apparently he didn't want it. He'd prefer to hang out in Macao.

Afraid of assassination or an uprising. :P

Maybe he doesn't have the stomach to play the role he'd need to. It's one thing to benefit from the setup in another country... it's another to play "the great ruler" at home. I'm kind of baffled that anyone would want to run a country when they can have money and freedom as an alternative.

nismaratwork said:
Maybe he doesn't have the stomach to play the role he'd need to. It's one thing to benefit from the setup in another country... it's another to play "the great ruler" at home. I'm kind of baffled that anyone would want to run a country when they can have money and freedom as an alternative.

There's this incredible concept called civic/societal responsibility. There hasn't been any in 65 years, but it is still a concept.

From Astro's Guardian link:

He said he hoped Kim Jong-un would "do his best to bring abundance to the lives of North Koreans" and that he was ready to help from abroad.

Lol...

lisab said:
From Astro's Guardian link:

Lol...

moral support! lol

I'm so glad the entire world can read this thread!

Except, perhaps, the unbelievably isolated N. Korea. What an incredible contrast to the unbelievably open S. Korea. NK: poorest internet access on the planet. SK: most advanced internet access on the planet.

Perhaps the younger son was chosen because the older took one look at his legacy and said, "no way!"

I hope the younger son follows the older son's rationality.

One can only hope. And if it's not rationality, then perhaps integrity, righteousness, even simply "doing the right thing." Hopefully the younger one hasn't been so mindlessly brainwashed he's unable to make his own decisions. Perhaps that's what happened to their father, and it's not him, but the ruling military regime which puppets (how's that for an action verb?) a leader.

Oh, joy. Look what misery it's bought their people.

If the younger is either incapable or unwilling to accept the horrific legacy of his father and grandfather, then he will most certainly doom yet another generation of millions to gross, inescapable, abstract poverty resulting in the deaths of many more millions.

Let us all, please hope and pray, he is not that stupid.

What is the significance of Kim Jong Un being given 4-star general status at the age of 28?

The significance of this event is that it solidified Kim Jong Un's position as the heir apparent to his father, Kim Jong Il, as the leader of North Korea. It also demonstrated the level of power and control that the Kim family has over the military in North Korea.

How did Kim Jong Un receive this 4-star general status at such a young age?

Kim Jong Un's father, Kim Jong Il, handpicked him as his successor and began grooming him for leadership from a young age. This included giving him high-ranking military positions, such as the 4-star general status, despite his lack of military experience.

What does being a 4-star general mean in North Korea?

In North Korea, being a 4-star general signifies the highest level of military leadership and control. It also grants significant political power and influence within the country.

Has anyone else in North Korea been given 4-star general status at such a young age?

No, Kim Jong Un is the first and only person in North Korea to be given 4-star general status at such a young age. This further solidifies his status as the chosen successor to his father.

What are the implications of Kim Jong Un's 4-star general status for North Korea's military and political landscape?

Kim Jong Un's 4-star general status further strengthens the Kim family's hold on power in North Korea and solidifies their control over the military. It also raises concerns about the potential for a young and inexperienced leader to have such a high level of influence and control over a country's military and political affairs.