Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Kim Jong Un Given 4-Star General Status at age 28

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100928/ap_on_re_as/as_nkorea_succession" [Broken].

How embarrassing!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2

alt

Gold Member

Did you see the news reports, the video footage. Chilling stuff - straight out of Orwell's 1984. What a place !

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 28, 2010 #3
    You have to watch the documentary "Welcome to North Korea". Really is an eye opener

5. Sep 28, 2010 #4

alt

Gold Member

Thanks - I've heard of it but haven't seen it. I'll see if I can get it.

6. Sep 28, 2010 #5
    I bet the 46 South Korean sailors died so that the young general could prove himself.

7. Sep 28, 2010 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Sep 28, 2010 #7
    Just finished the Welcome to North Korea documentary. It was filmed in 2001, two years before I moved to S. Korea.

Unbelievable. I was going to say "sad," but "pathetic" more aptly describes what that government has done to the people of that country. They citizenry are so brainwashed it's likely they honestly believe that Kim Jong Un is a diety and deserves his promotion.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_268_pBvPs&feature=fvw".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  9. Sep 28, 2010 #8
    Not surprising, but maybe not bad either. Kim Jong Il is crazier than most... maybe Un will just be messianic and monomaniacal, but slightly more predictable. Here's to hoping.

10. Oct 4, 2010 #9

alt

Gold Member

One possible 'hope' is that Un has been educated it the West, and having being thus subjected to Western 'decadence', might find it preferable to the alternative extant in his country.

11. Oct 4, 2010 #10
    Which surprises me. You'd think he'd have been kept on a tight leash.

12. Oct 4, 2010 #11
    I don't think it's ignorance of the west that drives Kim Jong Il... just his people. After all, he enjoys liquor and movies... presumably he wanted to share the same stuff with his kid. It's the NK people who are in the dark.

13. Oct 6, 2010 #12

alt

Gold Member

Yes, but wouldn't you say kept in the dark by Il and his regime ? The old commie mentality that he's been brought up with, educated in, dies not at all (liquor, movies, and naked romps with nubile NK chicks notwithstanding).

I have generally noted though, that where a person is educated makes for a good dose of his formative years. Therefore, I was remarking that Un, though strident as his father might be on the outside, might have a different set of values on the inside - having a good taste of the West in his formative years.

Then again ..

14. Oct 6, 2010 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I have always believed that dictators pick a belief system primarily as a governing strategy and that it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their actual beliefs.

Edit.....for that matter, don't all politicians do that?

15. Oct 6, 2010 #14
    Yes, and yes... in my view and experience.

16. Oct 12, 2010 #15
    How much you want to bet he and his son have unlimited Internet access? (smirk)

17. Oct 12, 2010 #16

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Interestingly, I heard this story on the BBC this morning -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/12/kim-jong-il-son-opposes-dynasty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11520566

Maybe there is hope for the North Koreans. :uhh:

18. Oct 12, 2010 #17
    Of course he's opposed, if his brother is being chosen ahead of him.

19. Oct 12, 2010 #18

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Apparently he didn't want it. He'd prefer to hang out in Macao.

20. Oct 12, 2010 #19
    Afraid of assassination or an uprising. :P

21. Oct 12, 2010 #20
    Maybe he doesn't have the stomach to play the role he'd need to. It's one thing to benefit from the setup in another country... it's another to play "the great ruler" at home. I'm kind of baffled that anyone would want to run a country when they can have money and freedom as an alternative.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook