Kinematics, Distance acceleration and deceleration.

In summary: For 2.5km you have to solve a quadratic equation. The second term is 2.5km*0.002ms^-2 and you can solve it using the quadratic formula.t1 = 200s (as before)t2 = 40.2sThanks for that Perok, I got there in the end, it was the 0.002 I was missing from the last equation. Thanks again for your help.In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum speed and minimum time for a train to travel a distance of 2.5km between two train stations that are 2.5km apart. The train must accelerate at a constant rate of 0.1ms-2 for
ManicPIxie

Homework Statement

There are two train stations, 2.5km (2500m) apart, therefore an ordinary suburban train cannot reach its max v between the two station. They try to minimise time taken by accelerating at a constant rate of 0.1ms-2 for time t1 and decelerate at 0.5ms-2 for time t2.

Find the maximum speed of the train, and the minimum time taken to travel this distance.[/B]

Homework Equations

a = v/t
v = d/t
vf = vi + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not so much stuck on the side of figuring out max velocity and time, I for some reason can not for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to determine the DISTANCE it takes to reach the max speed.

I know the ratio of acceleration is 1:5, but can't figure out how this then relates into the distances required for acceleration and breaking. I'm not after a full answer because this is an assignment question, but more a poke in the right direction.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Love your name. Could you post your work? I can't do much to help you if I cannot see your work. Additionally, I would recommend you take a look at the introductory physics formulae thread. You are missing a crucial bit of information.

Basically you seem to neglect the equation that relates the distance traveled to the time it takes during acceleration or deceleration. It is [itex]s_1=0.5a_1t_1^2[/itex] and [itex]s_2=v_it_2-0.5a_2t_2^2[/itex] where v_i the velocity at the time t1 where acceleration stops and deceleration starts. According to the constrains given by the problem it should be [itex]s_1+s_2=2.5km[/itex] and [itex]v_i-a_2t_2=0[/itex]

Hello Aleph and Delta, thanks for your replies, sorry I didn't get back sooner, I was grinding away at this question and I think I have it but would like to let you two say what you think before I go ahead and submit it.

Known:

a1 = 0.100ms-2
a2 = 0.500ms-2
dtotal = 2.5km = 2500m

vi = vf = 0ms-1

Equations:

v1 = a1t1 = -a2t2
d = ½ at2
Solution

d = ½ a1t12 + v1t2 + ½ a2t22

2500m = ½ a1t12 + a1t1 (a1t1 / a2)2
= ½ a1 (1 – a1 / a2) t12

(1 – a1 / a2)t12 = 2500/(½a1)
(1 – a1 / a2)t12 = 50000
t12 = 50000 / (1 – a1/a2)
= 50000 / (1 – 0.100ms-2 / 0.500ms-2)
= 62500
t1 = √62500
= 250s

t2 = a1t1 / a2
= 0.100ms-2 • 250s / 0.500ms-2
= 50s

ttotal = t1 + t2
= 300s

If you calculate the distance traveled during ##t_1 = 250s## you will see it's more than 2500m.

Note also that:

As the deceleration is 5 times the acceleration, you can see that ##t_1 = 5t_2##.

Can you use that to find the relationship between the distances ##d_1## and ##d_2##?

Last edited:
Quite right Perok!

Redoing my work after your find I have reached the following conclusion that checks out when plugged into vf = vi + at

t1 = 200s
t2 = 40s

40s also happens to be one fifth of 200s, making it such a lovely fit.

Thank you all so much for your help.

ManicPIxie said:
Quite right Perok!

Redoing my work after your find I have reached the following conclusion that checks out when plugged into vf = vi + at

t1 = 200s
t2 = 40s

40s also happens to be one fifth of 200s, making it such a lovely fit.

Thank you all so much for your help.

That's the solution for 2.4km.

1. What is kinematics and why is it important in science?

Kinematics is the study of motion, specifically how objects move and the factors that affect their motion. It is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, which is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight-line distance between the starting and ending points of an object's motion. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

3. What is acceleration and how is it related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be either positive (when an object speeds up) or negative (when an object slows down or decelerates). Acceleration is directly related to velocity, as any change in velocity (speed or direction) results in acceleration.

4. How can we calculate acceleration and deceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. Similarly, deceleration can be calculated using the same formula but with a negative value for acceleration.

5. How does the slope of a distance-time graph relate to an object's velocity?

The slope of a distance-time graph represents the object's velocity. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity. A horizontal line on the graph indicates that the object is not moving (zero velocity), and a negative slope indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction.