1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics of Rigid Bodies question

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The uniform 3.6m pole is hinged to the truck bed and released from the vertical position as the truck starts from rest with than acceleration of 0.9m/s^2. If the acceleration remains constant during the motion of the pole, calculate the angular velocity of the pole as it reaches the horizontal position.
    Diagram attached.

2. Relevant equations
    I believe these equations are relevant, however, I am not given a mass for the pole, so i'm not entirely sure.
    a(tangential)=mrθ''
    a(normal) = mrω^2
    ƩMo=Iθ''+Ʃma(vector)d
    I=k^2m
    ω=2Vx
    ω=(ωo^2+2aθ)^(1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I eventually want to realise the angular velocity ω.
    I have done a similar question that utilised energy and momentum methods, however, with a negligible mass, i'm not sure whether that will affect the equations, since the example question used mass.

So essentially, I believe it may be using the last formula I provided, since it is not determined by time or mass.
    So, all I need to find is the acceleration, since I already know that ωo is at rest, and θ=90. Finding the acceleration, from the given positive direction of acceleration of the truck body, is something that I can't figure out.

Thankyou for any feedback!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2
    your last formula is valid for constant angular acceleration,so from vertical to horizontal position does it remain the same.

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    @ Andrien
    Well, the pole accelerates to the left (opposite the direction of the car) at 0.9m/s^2, and accelerates downward at 9.8m/s^2.
    These are both constants, but I don't know which to use in the formula.
    It can't possibly as simple as angular vel=(0^2+2*0.9*90)^1/2

5. May 14, 2012 #4
    consider taking moment about hinge point, and write ma as a pseudo force along with gravity which will act towards left i.e. opposite to acceleration of truck.integrate from 0 to pi/2,you will get
    w=[3(g+a)/l]^.5, where l= length of rod.assuming k^2=l^2/12,
    w is around 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook