1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics problem -- Cat chasing a mouse on a rotating disk

1. Jun 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mouse starts running on a circular path of Radius = 28m with constant speed u = 4m/s. A cat starts from the center of the path to catch the mouse. The cat always remains on the radius connecting the center of the circle and the mouse and it maintains magnitude of its velocity a constant v = 4m/s. How long (in sec) is the chase?

2. Relevant equations
    ω=d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    Before solving this problem I tried make a figure of this question.Here it is.
    physics figure.png
    Hint given in my book says that in this problem angular velocities of cat and mouse are equal.
    I know that angular velocity is change in angular displacement upon time.I am not sure about my figure.Please tell me if it is right or wrong and the angular velocity of cat and mouse are equal.It would be nice if you explain it with a figure.

[

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you know the angular velocity of the cat, you can compute the radial velocity of the cat as a function of the radius. You then need to relate the radial velocity to how long it will take the cat to reach radius r = 28 m.

4. Jun 23, 2014 #3
    Hi Satvik...

What is the answer ?

5. Jun 23, 2014 #4
    No I can find the angular velocity of rat (1/7) but the radius of the path of cat is not given.Hint given in my book says that in this problem angular velocities of cat and mouse are equal.Could you please tell me why is it so???

6. Jun 23, 2014 #5
    The answer is 11 seconds.

7. Jun 23, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is why:

You also have the speed of the cat, so you can just use Pythagoras' theorem to find the radial velocity (##v^2 = v_r^2 + v_\phi^2##).

8. Jun 23, 2014 #7
    Your figure is not correct .

Look at the attached picture .Red dots are location of mouse and blue represents cat .

If you join the blue dots you will get the path traced by the cat.

Let at t=0 mouse be at the top of the circle and cat at the center of the circle .In time t the line joining the mouse to the center makes an angle θ with the vertical .

What angle does the line joining the cat to the center at time t make with the vertical ? What does that tell you about the angular velocity of the two ?

Attached Files:

9. Jun 23, 2014 #8
    Yes it also makes the angle [itex]\theta[/itex].
    When I join the blue dots I got the path traced by the cat.It is an arc.This arc will be the part of a circle.Why did you not calculate the angular velocity of cat w.r.t to that center of the path traced by the cat .(Why did you not calculate Angular displacement of cat w.r.t to that center of the path traced by the cat)
    physics figure.png
    Sorry for the figure it is not clear.

10. Jun 23, 2014 #9
    What is radial velocity?

11. Jun 23, 2014 #10
    Right .

But the circle will not be like the one you have shown in your picture .Anyways forget about completing the circle .It is not required .Knowing that the cat will follow a curved path is sufficient for us.

This is not the way angular velocity of cat is calculated .We need to consider only one circle i.e I have shown in the figure in earlier post .The reference point is the center and reference line is the vertical line .

12. Jun 23, 2014 #11
    Have you been able to solve the problem given that the cat and mouse have the same angular velocity? I would recommend working in polar coordinates, if that is something you are comfortable with.

13. Jun 23, 2014 #12
    Thank you for explanation.

14. Jun 23, 2014 #13

CAF123

Gold Member

The total velocity of the bodies is composed of a radial part, vr, and a tangential part, vθ in plane polar coordinates. The mouse is constrained to move on a circular path, so what does this tell you about its radial velocity? The constant speed in the question refers to the total velocity v, so it can be decomposed.

15. Jun 23, 2014 #14

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The radial velocity is the projection of the total velocity on the radial direction, i.e., the velocity with which the r-coordinate of the cat increases. The component orthogonal to this is the velocity in the angular direction. The sum of their squares should equal the square of the total velocity by Pythagoras' theorem, as written in my previous post.

16. Jun 23, 2014 #15
    Could anybody send me the link from where I can study about radial velocity and polar coordinates. Till now I don't have any knowledge about these things.

17. Jun 23, 2014 #16

CAF123

Gold Member

Plane polar coordinates are useful when the problem admits a circular set up. For a motivation and for descriptions of other coordinate systems see http://www.math.oregonstate.edu/hom...lculusQuestStudyGuides/vcalc/coord/coord.html

The velocity of a particle in polar coordinates is derived in this video:
    The terms in the final expression constitute the radial and tangential parts talked about earlier.

Do you have a calculus textbook? That would of course be the best resource for learning about this otherwise the links I give you may seem to be disconnected.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  18. Jun 23, 2014 #17
    This problem would be much more interesting if the instantaneous velocity vector of the cat was directed along the line between the cat and the mouse. Anyone interested in working on this one?

Chet

19. Jun 23, 2014 #18
    Hello Chet

Isn't the velocity of cat always directed towards the mouse in the OP ?

20. Jun 23, 2014 #19
    Hi Tanya. No, in the OP, the radial component of the cat's velocity vector is directed towards the mouse, not the cat's total velocity vector. The cat always remains on the radius connecting the center of the circle to the mouse.

Chet

21. Jun 23, 2014 #20
    OK.

Does the picture correctly represents the situation in OP ? Blue dot represents the cat and red represents the mouse .Green is radial and pink is transverse velocity .

Does the brown vector correctly represents the instantaneous velocity in the OP ?

But if the instantaneous velocity vector of the cat was towards the mouse ,that means the velocity has only the radial component and in that case how is it possible for the cat to catch the mouse ?

Doesn't the cat need to have an angular(transverse) component of velocity as well ?

Attached Files:

• cat.GIF
      cat.GIF
      File size:
      6.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted