Kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration.

In summary, the conversation discusses the longest home run ever measured, which was hit by Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle in a minor league game. The ball traveled 188 meters before landing outside the ballpark. The problem at hand is to calculate the initial speed of the ball assuming it was hit at a point 0.9 meters above ground level with an initial angle of 56 degrees above the horizontal, and ignoring air resistance. The equations used to solve the problem include the constant acceleration equations and the components of the initial velocity in the x and y directions. The solution to the problem is an initial velocity of 45 m/s. Part b of the problem involves calculating the height of the ball above a 3.0 meter fence if it
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the longest home run ever measured was hit by Roy “Dizzy” Carlyle in a minor league game. The ball traveled 188 m before landing on the ground outside the ballpark.

Assuming the ball's initial velocity was 56 degrees above the horizontal and ignoring air resistance, what did the initial speed of the ball need to be to produce such a home run if the ball was hit at a point 0.9 m above ground level? Assume that the ground was perfectly flat.

Homework Equations

Any constant acceleration equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so this is my problem. I have all the meters, but can't find any velocities.

x = 188
y= 0ay = -9.8
ax=0

Xo = 0
Yo = 0.9

? sin 56 = Voy
? cos 56 = Vox

I don't really know what to do from here. ='(

I did write 0= Voy^2+2(-9.8)(-0.9) = 4.2 m/s = Voy, and I have a lot of values after that, but I don't think I'm doing it right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the constant acceleration equations that you know of, then plug in the values you have for the terms. You need only one constant acceleration equation. The one for distance.

0-0.9=Voy(t)+.5(-9.8)(t^2)

Vy-Voy =(-9.8)(t)

V^2y = V^2oy + 2(-9.8)(0-0.9)

Is Voy 0?

Voy is the component of the initial velocity in the y direction. That is, if the magnitude of the initial velocity is Vo, then it's Vo sin 56.

Also, Vox = Vo cos 56.

The three equations you have written down are correct. But you've considered only the y direction. Write down the same equations for the x direction.

188-0=Vox(t)

Vx = Vox

V^2x = V^ox

Last edited:
The 3 equations you've written for the x direction are also correct.

But wait. You want to add something to your equations for the y direction? Why do you think 0= V^2oy- V^2y ?

omoplata said:
The 3 equations you've written for the x direction are also correct.

But wait. You want to add something to your equations for the y direction? Why do you think 0= V^2oy- V^2y ?

I think they equal zero because the velocity at he beginning will equal the velocity at the end, except it will be negative, thus giving me Voy=4.2 m/s.

The equation of motion is,

V^2y = V^2oy + 2*ay*(y-Yo)

So,

V^2y - V^2oy = 2*ay*(y-Yo)

Which is not equal to 0. The velocity at a height of 0.9 m will be the negative of velocity at the beginning. Not the velocity at 0 height.

OK, proceeding with the solution to the problem,

You have for the y direction,

Vy-Voy =(-9.8)(t)
V^2y = V^2oy + 2(-9.8)(0-0.9)

You have for the x direction,

188-0=Vox(t)
Vx = Vox
V^2x = V^ox

Also you have,

Vox = Vo cos 56
Voy = Vo sin 56

Which ones of these 8 equations can you use to find the answer. Look for common variables between equations.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

188= Vo(cos 56)t

-0.9=Vo(sin 56)t

Crusaderking1 said:
-0.9=Vo(sin 56)t

Where did you get this one from?

omoplata said:
Where did you get this one from?

x-xo = Vo(cos 56)t
188-0= Vo(cos 56)t

y-yo = Vo(sin 56)t
0-0.9= Vo(sin 56)t

Crusaderking1 said:
y-yo = Vo(sin 56)t
0-0.9= Vo(sin 56)t

You had this equation before,

How did the ".5(-9.8)(t^2)" term disappear?

omoplata said:
You had this equation before,

How did the ".5(-9.8)(t^2)" term disappear?

ok, it doesn't.

Thanks.

Last edited:
part b) How far would the ball be above a fence 3.0m high if the fence was 116 m from home plate?

I received 45 m/s for initial velocity finally! thanks!

I don't know where to start part b.

nevermind, i did it.

Last edited:
Crusaderking1 said:
nevermind, i did it.

Do you mean you did part b) ?

1. What is kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration?

Kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration is a type of motion in which a projectile (an object that is launched into the air and falls under the influence of gravity) experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity. This type of motion is often studied in physics to understand the behavior of objects in free fall.

2. How is kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration different from other types of motion?

Kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration is different from other types of motion because it involves a projectile that is launched at an angle and experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity. Other types of motion may involve objects moving at a constant speed or experiencing a changing acceleration.

3. What are the key equations used in kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration?

The key equations used in kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration are the equations of motion, which include the equations for displacement, velocity, and time. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity to calculate the motion of the projectile.

4. How does air resistance affect kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration?

Air resistance can affect kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration by slowing down the projectile's speed and changing its trajectory. This is because as a projectile moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, known as drag. This force can cause the projectile to slow down and fall at a different angle than expected.

5. What are some real-world applications of kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration?

Kinematics projectile motion with constant acceleration has many real-world applications, such as in sports like baseball, where the trajectory of a thrown ball can be predicted using these principles. It is also used in engineering to design and launch rockets or other projectiles, as well as in the study of meteorology for understanding the motion of objects in the atmosphere.