1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate angular velocity of a ball rolling down incline?

1. Apr 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 7.80-cm-diameter, 400 g solid sphere is released from rest at the top of a 1.70-m-long, 20.0 degree incline. It rolls, without slipping, to the bottom

2. Relevant equations
    I=2/5 Mr^2
    K = 1/2 m*v^2
    Kroll = 1/2 Iw2
    mgh=K+Kroll
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the above energy equation and the fact that the ball is rolling without slipping I replaced v with 'rw' and then solved for w which gets me:
    w2 = (10gh)/(7r2)
    Where h is the height of the ramp. But I domt know what to do next. I tried finding h with trig and I got h=0.69
    but when I subbed those values in it was incorrect apparently. So the question is a little ambiguous when it says 'long' so I thought what if it means that is the length of the ramp itself which gets h=0.58 which is still wrong.

I am taking the units to be rad/s and they actually matter for the answer if that is the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello. Welcome to PF!
    OK
    I think this is the intended interpretation.
    Your outline of the solution looks correct to me. Sometimes there can be a careless error in substituting the numbers. You did not state the numerical value of your answer.

4. Apr 29, 2017 #3
    So using that formula I get w=36.53rad/s

5. Apr 29, 2017 #4
    Woops actually I get 79.69 because I forgot it is radius not diameter but that is still incorrect apparently

6. Apr 29, 2017 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You might be running into rounding or truncation issues affecting your significant figures. For example, if you truncate the change in height to two figures: h = 0.58 m, does it make any sense that anything calculated from that value could have more than two significant figures?

Re-run your calculation keeping extra digits for all intermediate values (don't round anything until the very end) and see what you get. Use a value for g that has at least three significant figures.

7. Apr 29, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This answer corresponds to h = 0.69 m. What if you use h = .58 m? As gneill pointed out, your data is given to 3 significant figures, so you want your calculation to be accurate to the same number of significant figures.

8. Apr 30, 2017 #7
    I think you should just try the math again. I ended up with the same final equation you did, plugged in the numbers, and got a different answer.
    I used
    g = 9.81m/s^2
    h = 0.5814 m
    r = 0.039 m

Edit: Based on your previous posts, I suspect your radius may be wrong.
    Edit2: @TSny, you are probably right in post #6. I missed that when I posted.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted