Calculate angular velocity of a ball rolling down incline?

In summary, an 7.80 cm diameter, 400 g solid sphere is released from rest at the top of a 1.70 m long, 20 degree incline. It rolls, without slipping, to the bottom. The attempt at a solution uses the energy equation and the fact that the ball is rolling without slipping to replace v with 'rw' and solves for w which gets w2 = (10gh)/(7r2). However, I don't know what to do next. I tried finding h with trig and I got h=0.69 but when I subbed those values in it was incorrect apparently. So the question is a little ambiguous when it says 'long' so I thought what if it means that is
Dinkleberg

Homework Statement

An 7.80-cm-diameter, 400 g solid sphere is released from rest at the top of a 1.70-m-long, 20.0 degree incline. It rolls, without slipping, to the bottom

Homework Equations

I=2/5 Mr^2
K = 1/2 m*v^2
Kroll = 1/2 Iw2
mgh=K+Kroll

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above energy equation and the fact that the ball is rolling without slipping I replaced v with 'rw' and then solved for w which gets me:
w2 = (10gh)/(7r2)
Where h is the height of the ramp. But I domt know what to do next. I tried finding h with trig and I got h=0.69
but when I subbed those values in it was incorrect apparently. So the question is a little ambiguous when it says 'long' so I thought what if it means that is the length of the ramp itself which gets h=0.58 which is still wrong.

I am taking the units to be rad/s and they actually matter for the answer if that is the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Welcome to PF!
Dinkleberg said:
w2 = (10gh)/(7r2)
OK
So the question is a little ambiguous when it says 'long' so I thought what if it means that is the length of the ramp itself which gets h=0.58 which is still wrong.
I think this is the intended interpretation.
Your outline of the solution looks correct to me. Sometimes there can be a careless error in substituting the numbers. You did not state the numerical value of your answer.

So using that formula I get w=36.53rad/s

TSny said:
Hello. Welcome to PF!
OK
I think this is the intended interpretation.
Your outline of the solution looks correct to me. Sometimes there can be a careless error in substituting the numbers. You did not state the numerical value of your answer.

Woops actually I get 79.69 because I forgot it is radius not diameter but that is still incorrect apparently

Dinkleberg said:
Woops actually I get 79.69 because I forgot it is radius not diameter but that is still incorrect apparently
You might be running into rounding or truncation issues affecting your significant figures. For example, if you truncate the change in height to two figures: h = 0.58 m, does it make any sense that anything calculated from that value could have more than two significant figures?

Re-run your calculation keeping extra digits for all intermediate values (don't round anything until the very end) and see what you get. Use a value for g that has at least three significant figures.

Dinkleberg said:
This answer corresponds to h = 0.69 m. What if you use h = .58 m? As gneill pointed out, your data is given to 3 significant figures, so you want your calculation to be accurate to the same number of significant figures.

Dinkleberg said:
I think you should just try the math again. I ended up with the same final equation you did, plugged in the numbers, and got a different answer.
I used
g = 9.81m/s^2
h = 0.5814 m
r = 0.039 m

Edit: Based on your previous posts, I suspect your radius may be wrong.
Edit2: @TSny, you are probably right in post #6. I missed that when I posted.

Last edited:

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate at which an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. The formula is:
ω = Δθ / Δt
where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative if the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. It can also be negative if the object is slowing down or changing direction.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the angular velocity of a rolling ball?

The angle of incline can affect the angular velocity of a rolling ball by changing the acceleration due to gravity. The steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration, and thus the greater the angular velocity of the rolling ball. However, the mass and shape of the ball also play a role in determining its angular velocity.

5. Is the angular velocity of a rolling ball constant?

No, the angular velocity of a rolling ball is not constant. As the ball rolls down an incline, it experiences a change in speed and direction, causing its angular velocity to constantly change. The only time the angular velocity would be constant is if the ball is rolling on a flat surface with no external forces acting upon it.