Kinematics: when to use the quadratic formula?

In summary, the ball falls from 30m at a velocity of 8 m/s and takes about 1.5 seconds to hit the ground.
catzmeow
Hi PF, I'm reviewing my notes from class, starting from the very beginning. I'm working on some problems using kinematic equations. Here's one example: a ball falls from 30m (using down as the positive direction) at a velocity of 8 m/s. how long does it take the ball to hit the ground?

Why do I have to use the quadratic formula here? How do I know when not to use it?

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do I have to use the quadratic formula here?
There is no linear formula describing the motion.
How do I know when not to use it?
If there is no easier way to solve the problem.

It is possible to solve that problem without solving a non-trivial quadratic equation, but I don't think this is easier.

Isn't it just because the acceleration is constant? hint: use integration twice on the acceleration, then you see what the equation of motion has to be.

catzmeow said:
Hi PF, I'm reviewing my notes from class, starting from the very beginning. I'm working on some problems using kinematic equations. Here's one example: a ball falls from 30m (using down as the positive direction) at a velocity of 8 m/s. how long does it take the ball to hit the ground?

Why do I have to use the quadratic formula here? How do I know when not to use it?

Thanks in advance :)

There is no horizontal motion in this case. That alone should be enough to tell you that you don't need to use it.

You have a constant velocity and a displacement, so simply use :

$$Δt = \frac{\vec{Δd}}{\vec{v}}$$

Just because there is no horizontal motion doesn't mean the trajectory of the particle is not quadratic in time; I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. In the OP's case the ball undergoes free fall after being released with some initial velocity and so undergoes constant acceleration. It's trajectory will be quadratic in time.

Just as a side note, the expression ##\frac{\Delta d}{\vec{v}}## is not well defined because you are diving by a vector (the velocity). What you mean to use is ##\left \| {\vec{v}} \right \|## i.e. the speed.

This might be a silly question! But, do you mean that the ball has a speed of 8 m/s when it is at a height of 30 m?
"Falls FROM a height of 30m" sounds to me that it was released from 30m with 0 velocity. Do you mean that or do you mean that it was thrown down with a velocity?
Sorry if this sounds pedantic.

WannabeNewton said:
Just because there is no horizontal motion doesn't mean the trajectory of the particle is not quadratic in time; I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. In the OP's case the ball undergoes free fall after being released with some initial velocity and so undergoes constant acceleration. It's trajectory will be quadratic in time.

Just as a side note, the expression ##\frac{\Delta d}{\vec{v}}## is not well defined because you are diving by a vector (the velocity). What you mean to use is ##\left \| {\vec{v}} \right \|## i.e. the speed.

Oh my bad, on a second read I see that using ##\vec{Δd} = \vec{v_1}Δt + (1/2) \vec{a} (Δt)^2## would be more appropriate.

I forgot to consider the acceleration in my haste.

It's ok! We all make silly errors from time to time :)

WannabeNewton said:
Just as a side note, the expression ##\frac{\Delta d}{\vec{v}}## is not well defined because you are diving by a vector (the velocity).

Just as a side note, many years ago, on my analytic geometry exam, I was given a problem that I was able to reduce to ## \vec{a} \times \vec {x} = \vec{b} ##. And then I said that finding ## \vec{x} ## would require vectorial division, which is not "well defined".

The rest was so sad I still remember that :)

Haha. The good ol' days of analytic geometry eh? Too bad you can't make up the rules as you go along xD

technician said:
This might be a silly question! But, do you mean that the ball has a speed of 8 m/s when it is at a height of 30 m?
"Falls FROM a height of 30m" sounds to me that it was released from 30m with 0 velocity. Do you mean that or do you mean that it was thrown down with a velocity?
Sorry if this sounds pedantic.

The problem says that initial velocity is 8 m/s, but I understand what you're saying.

WannabeNewton said:
Haha. The good ol' days of analytic geometry eh? Too bad you can't make up the rules as you go along xD

Haha I tried this and the result in the academic world wasn't very pretty...

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves through space and time.

2. When should the quadratic formula be used in kinematics?

The quadratic formula should be used in kinematics when solving for the time it takes for an object to reach a specific position or velocity. This is because the equations of motion in kinematics involve quadratic terms, which can be solved using the quadratic formula.

3. What does the quadratic formula tell us in kinematics?

The quadratic formula tells us the time it takes for an object to reach a specific position or velocity. It can also be used to determine the maximum height or range of an object's motion.

4. How do you use the quadratic formula in kinematics?

To use the quadratic formula in kinematics, you first need to identify the equation of motion that involves a quadratic term, such as the equations for position, velocity, or acceleration. Then, plug in the known values for the other variables, and use the quadratic formula to solve for the unknown variable.

5. Can the quadratic formula be used in all kinematics problems?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used in kinematics problems where the equations of motion involve quadratic terms. If the equations do not contain a quadratic term, other methods such as algebraic manipulation or graphical analysis may be used to solve the problem.