Accel 1-D HW: Solving for Time with Quadratic

In summary, the conversation is about finding the time it takes for a baseball thrown from a height of 3.5 m at a velocity of 20.0 m/s downwards to reach a height of 3.5 m below. The quadratic formula is used to solve for time, but there is confusion about how to find the time from the roots. The positive root of 0.168 seconds is suggested as the correct answer, but the speaker is unsure. The person giving the summary suggests checking the answer by plugging it into the equation. The use of positive and negative times is discussed, and it is mentioned that the problem statement should provide clues to determine which time is correct.
khzak1

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown by Joey from the third floor of his home at 20.0m/s [downwards], his friend Timmy is 3.5 m below him.
a. Find how long it takes the ball to reach Timmy.

I used the quadratic formula to solve to time but I am confused about it in my calculations.

Homework Equations

D=V[1]t+1/2(a)(t)^2
1/2(a)(t)^2 + V[1]t + (-D)

The Attempt at a Solution

Once I find the roots using the quadratic equation, how do I find the time? AHH I'm so confused.

20± √468.67

Physics news on Phys.org
khzak1 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Once I find the roots using the quadratic equation, how do I find the time? AHH I'm so confused.

20± √468.67

There are two roots, one is negative, one is positive, does a negative time make any sense as a solution to your problem?
In other words, can Timmy catch the ball before Joey throws it?

Likes khzak1
So the positive answer relative to time would be
Δt=0.168s approximately

I am not sure if that is the correct answer. Could you confirm it please.

khzak1 said:
So the positive answer relative to time would be
Δt=0.168s approximately

I am not sure if that is the correct answer. Could you confirm it please.

It's always to confirm it for yourself, I'm just a stranger on the internet :wink:

Plug t = 0.168 s, v = 20 m/s and a = g into your first equation and see if d comes out as 3.5 m (or close to it due to rounding)

Likes khzak1
Haha, thanks mate ! :)

Something just came to my mind. What if there was a similar question, and I would get a positive integer either way. How would I know which time is correct according to ± ?

khzak1 said:
Something just came to my mind. What if there was a similar question, and I would get a positive integer either way. How would I know which time is correct according to ± ?

There should be clues in the problem statement. Imagine a basket ball thrown in a parabola towards the hoop, there will be two positive times where the ball will pass through the same height as the hoop, once on the way up and once on the way down. The second time points are scored (ball passes downward through the hoop) and the first time no points are scored (pall passes upward through the hoop), the question statement will make it clear which time is correct.

1. How do you solve for time using the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is t = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are coefficients in the quadratic equation ax² + bx + c = 0. Simply plug in the values for a, b, and c from your given equation and solve for t.

2. Why is the quadratic formula necessary for solving for time?

The quadratic formula is necessary because it allows us to solve for time in situations where the acceleration is not constant. This means that the traditional equation d = v₀t + ½at² cannot be used, and the quadratic formula provides an alternative method for finding the unknown variable of time.

3. Can the quadratic formula be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used to solve for time in any situation where the acceleration is not constant. This includes projectile motion, free fall, and circular motion.

4. Are there any limitations to using the quadratic formula to solve for time?

One limitation is that the quadratic formula assumes the acceleration is constant. If the acceleration is changing, then the solution provided by the quadratic formula may not be entirely accurate. Additionally, the quadratic formula may not be able to provide a solution if the values for a, b, and c result in a negative number under the square root.

5. Are there alternative methods for solving for time in situations with non-constant acceleration?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using kinematic equations or numerical methods like Euler's method. However, the quadratic formula is often the most straightforward and efficient method for solving these types of problems.