1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic enengy needed to break a board

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to get [itex]E_{b}[/itex] = .5(m*n*[itex]V^{2}_{i}[/itex])/(m+n) [eq 6]

where [itex]E_{b}[/itex] is the energy required to break the board, m is the mass of the object hitting the boards, n is the mass of the board and [itex]V_{i}[/itex] is the velocity of the object before hitting the board.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]K_{i}[/itex]=.5*m*[itex]V^{2}_{i}[/itex] [eq 1)
    where [itex]K_{i}[/itex] is the initial kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, [itex]V_{i}[/itex] is the inital velocity

[itex]K_{f}[/itex]= [itex]E_{b}[/itex] + .5*(m+ n)*[itex]V^{2}_{f}[/itex] [Eq2]
    [itex]E_{b}[/itex] is the energy required to break the board, m is the mass of the object hitting the boards, n is the mass of the board and [itex]V_{i}[/itex] is the velocity of the object before hitting the board.

momentum before = momentum after
    m8[itex]V_{i}[/itex] = (m+n)*[itex]V_{f}[/itex]

[itex]V_{f}[/itex]=(m*[itex]V_{i}[/itex])/(m+n) [eq3]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know make eq 1 and 2 equal (assuming no energy is lost) rearrange the equation to get E on its own

[itex]E_{b}[/itex] = .5*m*[itex]V^{2}_{i}[/itex] - .5*(m+ n)*[itex]V^{2}_{f}[/itex] [eq4]

Now i can sub in eq3 into eq 4

[itex]E_{b}[/itex] = .5*m*[itex]V^{2}_{i}[/itex] - .5*(m+ n)*[(m*[itex]V_{i}[/itex])/(m+n)[itex])^{2}[/itex]

[itex]E_{b}[/itex] = .5*m*[itex]V^{2}_{i}[/itex] - .5*[(m*[itex]V_{i}[/itex][itex])^{2}[/itex]/(m+n)]

This is where I am stuck, I cannot get to equation 6.
    Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##E_{b} = \frac{1}{2}mV^{2}_{i} - \frac{1}{2}\frac{(mV_{i})^{2}}{(m+n)}## - this is your last equation

##E_{b} = \frac{1}{2}mV^{2}_{i}\frac{m+n}{m+n} - \frac{1}{2}\frac{mmV_{i}^{2}}{(m+n)}##
    ##E_{b} = \frac{1}{2}mV^{2}_{i}\frac{m+n-m}{m+n}##
    And the next step is the final result.
    The idea was just to combine both terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook