Kinetic Energy and Parabolic Motion

In summary, when a shell is fired at 60 degrees to the horizontal with a speed of 200 m/s and neglecting air resistance, the kinetic energy at the highest point can be calculated using the horizontal component of velocity. This is because the vertical component of velocity is zero at the highest point, simplifying the calculation to only consider the horizontal component. This remains unchanged throughout the flight as the gravitational force only affects the vertical component of velocity.
thoradicus

Homework Statement

A shell of mass 50kg is fired at 60 degress to the horizontal with a speed of 200 m/s. Neglecting air resistance,calculate the kinetic energy of the shell at the highest point.

Homework Equations

K.E=.5(m)(v)^2
usin(θ)
ucos(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is shouldn't the K.E of the shell is 0? Since the vertical velocity is zero at the highest point. Should I use horizontal velocty instead? why is that so?

If i use horizontal velocity: 200cos60=100
K.E=(1/2)(50)(100)^2=2.5*10^5

Physics news on Phys.org
thoradicus said:
My question is shouldn't the K.E of the shell is 0? Since the vertical velocity is zero at the highest point. Should I use horizontal velocty instead? why is that so?
You need the total velocity to calculate the KE. But since the vertical component is zero at the highest point, all you need is the horizontal component.

Exactly. (Don't forget units.)

thoradicus said:

Homework Statement

A shell of mass 50kg is fired at 60 degress to the horizontal with a speed of 200 m/s. Neglecting air resistance,calculate the kinetic energy of the shell at the highest point.

Homework Equations

K.E=.5(m)(v)^2
usin(θ)
ucos(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

KE is the energy of motion. The shell is still moving when it's at its zenith (it's moving horizontally).

You could calculate the KE in terms of components, vertical and horizontal, then add them like you add vector components to find the magnitude. But since you know that the vertical component is zero when the shell is at its maximum height, the calculation simplifies to being just the KE due to the horizontal component.

yes u have to use the horizontal component of velocity in this case.
remember the velocity is zero at the topmost point only when the projectile is fired vertically, i.e, with zero horizontal component of velocity. if it is fired with some angle other than 90 deg with the horizontal it has a non zero velocity at the top. that velocity = the initial horizontal component of the velocity. this remains unchanged through out the flight as the gravitational force is a vertical (downward) one and as such can not affect the horizontal component of velocity.

J

Yes, you are correct in thinking that the kinetic energy at the highest point is 0. This is because, as you pointed out, the vertical velocity is 0 at that point. However, the horizontal velocity is still present and contributes to the overall kinetic energy of the shell. This is why we use the horizontal velocity in the kinetic energy equation.

To understand this better, let's break down the components of the shell's motion. The shell is fired at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal, which means it has both a vertical and horizontal component of velocity. As it travels upwards, the vertical velocity decreases due to gravity until it reaches 0 at the highest point. However, the horizontal velocity remains constant throughout the motion.

So, even though the vertical kinetic energy is 0 at the highest point, the horizontal kinetic energy is still present and contributes to the overall kinetic energy of the shell. This is why we use the horizontal velocity in the kinetic energy equation.

I hope this clarifies your doubt. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity squared, divided by 2 (KE = 1/2 mv^2).

2. How is kinetic energy related to parabolic motion?

In parabolic motion, an object moves in a curved path due to a combination of horizontal and vertical motion. Kinetic energy is related to parabolic motion because it is the energy that an object possesses as it moves through this curved path.

3. What factors affect an object's kinetic energy in parabolic motion?

The factors that affect an object's kinetic energy in parabolic motion include its mass, velocity, and the angle of its initial launch. Objects with greater mass or velocity will have more kinetic energy, and objects launched at a higher angle will have a greater vertical component of velocity, leading to more kinetic energy in the vertical direction.

4. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy during parabolic motion?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy during parabolic motion. For example, when an object reaches the peak of its parabolic trajectory, all of its kinetic energy has been converted into potential energy. As the object falls back towards the ground, potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy.

5. How does air resistance affect an object's kinetic energy in parabolic motion?

Air resistance can decrease an object's kinetic energy in parabolic motion. As the object moves through the air, it experiences resistance that opposes its motion, slowing it down. This results in a decrease in kinetic energy. In some cases, air resistance can also cause an object to change direction, altering its path of motion and potentially affecting its kinetic energy as well.