Calculating Moment of Inertia for Rotating Objects: A Kinetic Energy Problem

In summary, the question asks for the moment of inertia of a spinning object with a radius of 0.5 m and mass of 6 kg, moving at 5 m/s with a kinetic energy of 100 J. The correct answer, based on the given information, is 2 kgm2. However, there may be some ambiguity in the problem statement as it does not specify if the object is rotating about a fixed axis or if the 5 m/s represents the linear speed of a point 0.5 m from the axis of rotation.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

1. What is the moment of inertia of a spinning object of radius 0.5 m and mass 6 kg moving at 5 m/s, if it has a kinetic energy of 100 J?
    1. 1) 1 kgm2
    2. 2) 2 kgm2
    3. 3) 4 kgm2
    4. 4) 8 kgm2
    5. 5) 20 kgm2

Homework Equations

K.E. = Kinetic energy of rotation + kinetic energy of translation.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Hi everyone. I keep trying to solve this and I get the answer to be 0.5 kgm^2.

Obviously, this is not an answer. They say that the answer is 2).

Here's what I did:

(1 / 2) * m * v^2 + (1 /2) * I * omega^2 = 100.

(1 / 2) * 6 * 5^2 + (1 /2) * I * (v^2 / r^2)^2 = 100.

Rearrange to get I = (r^2 / v^2 ) * 50 = 0.5

Why do I not stack up with what the authors have written here? Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement of the problem is fuzzy. You can get answer (2) if you assume that the object is rotating about a fixed axis and assume that the 5 m/s represents the linear speed of a point located a distance 0.5 m from the axis of rotation.

Likes RoboNerd
OK, so I do not need to worry about it. Thanks a lot.

1. What is kinetic energy of rotation?

Kinetic energy of rotation is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is dependent on the object's mass, speed, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is kinetic energy of rotation calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy of rotation is KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the difference between kinetic energy of rotation and linear kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy of rotation is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation, while linear kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion. They are calculated differently and have different units.

4. How does changing the moment of inertia affect kinetic energy of rotation?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change in rotation. As the moment of inertia increases, the kinetic energy of rotation also increases, assuming the angular velocity remains constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of kinetic energy of rotation?

Some examples of kinetic energy of rotation in everyday life include spinning tops, Ferris wheels, and the Earth's rotation around its axis. Additionally, many machines and vehicles, such as car engines and wind turbines, rely on rotational kinetic energy to function.