Kinetic energy and the revolutions

In summary, the car's energy is sourced from a rotating flywheel with a radius of 1.90 m and a mass of 510.0 kg. The flywheel is attached to an electric motor before a trip, bringing its rotational speed to 1008.0 rev/min. The kinetic energy stored in the flywheel can be calculated using the formula KE = (1/2)Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. To determine the length of time the car can run before the flywheel needs to be brought back up to speed, we can use the equation KE = Pt, where P is power and t is time. Rearranging the equation, we can
keweezz
A car is designed to get its energy from a rotating flywheel with a radius of 1.90 m and a mass of 510.0 kg. Before a trip, the disk-shaped flywheel is attached to an electric motor, which brings the flywheel's rotational speed up to 1008.0 rev/min.

(a) Find the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel.
J
(b) If the flywheel is to supply as much energy to the car as a 7457 W motor would, find the length of time the car can run before the flywheel has to be brought back up to speed again.
s

trying to solve this problem is killing me.. Any hints or tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? How do you calculate rotational KE?

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of kinetic energy and its relationship to revolutions. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, and it is directly proportional to the mass and the square of the velocity of the object. In this case, the flywheel has a mass of 510.0 kg and a rotational speed of 1008.0 rev/min.

To find the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel, we can use the formula for rotational kinetic energy: E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia for a disk-shaped flywheel is given by I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius.

Plugging in the given values, we get E = 1/2 * (1/2 * 510.0 kg * (1.90 m)^2) * (1008.0 rev/min)^2. Converting the rotational speed to radians per second (ω = 1008.0 rev/min * 2π rad/rev * 1 min/60 s = 105.6 rad/s), we get E = 1.52 x 10^6 J. Therefore, the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel is 1.52 x 10^6 J.

Next, we need to find the length of time the car can run before the flywheel has to be brought back up to speed again. To do this, we can use the formula for work, W = ΔE, where W is the work done, ΔE is the change in energy, and E is the kinetic energy stored in the flywheel.

Since we want the flywheel to supply the same amount of energy as a 7457 W motor, we can set ΔE = 7457 J. Plugging in the value for E that we calculated earlier, we get W = 7457 J = 1.52 x 10^6 J - E. Solving for E, we get E = 1.52 x 10^6 J - 7457 J = 1.51 x 10^6 J.

Now, we can use the formula for rotational kinetic energy to find the angular velocity needed for the flywheel to supply

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and revolutions?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the number of revolutions an object makes. This means that as the number of revolutions increases, the kinetic energy also increases.

4. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as potential energy, thermal energy, or sound energy. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy.

5. How does kinetic energy affect the behavior of objects?

Kinetic energy is responsible for the movement of objects. The higher the kinetic energy, the faster an object will move. It also determines how much force an object can exert on another object upon impact.