Rotational kinetic energy of a flywheel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mfm578
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A car is designed to get its energy from a rotating flywheel with a radius of 1.12 m and
a mass of 736 kg. Before a trip, the flywheel is attached to an electric motor, which
brings the flywheel’s rotational speed up to 7270 rev/min.
Find the kinetic energy stored in the fly-wheel.
Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations


KE = 0.5*Inertia*w^2
Inertia = m*r^2


The Attempt at a Solution



convert 7270 rev/min to rad/s = 761.314 rad/s

KE equation: 0.5*(761.314)^2*(736 kg)*(1.12m)^2 = 267554029.7

answer is apparently wrong... help please?




PART 2, I don't think I can do this without a correct answer from part 1

If the flywheel is to supply energy to the car as would a 11.8 hp motor, how long could the
car run before the flywheel would have to be brought back up to speed?
Answer in units of h.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible the flywheel is modeled as a disk rather than a hoop, in which case

I = .5MR^2, not I = MR^2 ?