Kinetic Energy and the Work-Kinetic Energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 17K views
Joyci116
Messages
45
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 2100-kg pile driver is used to drive a steel I-beam into the ground. The pile driver falls 5.00 m before coming into contact with the top of the beam. Then it drives the beam 12.0 cm farther into the ground as it comes to rest. Using energy considerations, calculate the average force the beam exerts on the pile driver while the pile driver is brought to rest.

m=2100 kg
Xi=5.00m
Xf=12.0 cm =.12m


Homework Equations


K=.5mV^2
U=mgh
F=ma



The Attempt at a Solution


I rearranged the formula F=ma to a=F/m. And I tried using a kinematic equation, but I have failed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want to equate work with potential energy

F*x = F * (.12m) = mgh = mg(5m + .12m)
 
What I did is
Loss in energy=Loss in PE from the topmost point=mg(5.12)
Avg. Force=mg(5.12)/0.12
=8.78x10^5N