1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy and Work Energy Theorem

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    A 65kg bicyclist rides his 8.8kg bicycle with a speed of 14m/s. (a) How much work must be done by the brakes to bring the bike and rider to a stop? (b) How far does the bicycle travel if it takes 4.0s to come to rest? (c) What is the magnitude of the braking force?

So for part (a) the equation I would use is W=1/2mv_f^2 - 1/2mv_i^2 correct? Which then I get for an answer is 7232.4=W which means 7232.4 Newtons?

For part (b) I know the work that it takes to stop the bicyclist and bicycle but what I'm confused on what equation I would need to use to figure that out.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2
    For part (a), work is the change in kinetic energy, which you did good...but what are the units for work? If it is equal to KEf - KEi, what does that tell you?

For part (b), think kinematics.
  4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    O yeah it's joules for part (a)

For part (b) it would be just velocity/time = -average acceleration then I would just multiply that by the amount of time? correct?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?