Kinetic Energy in Classical treatment of Larmor Precession

In summary, the conversation discusses the classical treatment of Larmor precession in terms of potential and kinetic energy. The potential energy of the dipole-magnetic field system is assumed to remain constant, but there is some kinetic energy associated with the precession that comes from the initial potential energy of the electron. The kinetic energy is calculated to be +0.5μ.B, but there is confusion about where this energy goes and how the precession is stopped. It is suggested that only free and/or unpaired electrons are subject to precession, and they may be precessing constantly.
aim1732
This question pertains to the classical treatment of Larmor precession.I don't know whether to put it in the Classical Physics forum or this so I am putting it here.

In the treatment we assume that the potential energy of the dipole-magnetic field system remains constant because there is no way for the electron to lose that potential energy.But I was wondering that there is some kinetic energy associated with the precession. Where does that come from?

Is it because initially before the application of the field the potential energy of the electron was zero and after the application it reduces to -μ.B.Is that the source of the kinetic energy considering that the magnetic field can not possibly do any work on the system.

Considering this I calculated the kinetic energy of the precession.It came out to be +0.5μ.B.Now isn't this a problem.The atom can not possibly lose energy and hence there is no way for it to dissipate that energy term.

Am I missing something basic?I am not sure whether I have calculated the thing right.I would appreciate if someone can look into this.

(Since I am just beginning this topic I am familiar with only the classical treatment so will appreciate if the answer is in those terms)

Physics news on Phys.org
I am somewhat confused regarding the treatment of Larmor Precession in QM, but in the classical terms you are using, I have a couple of comments (not sure that they are right and would be pleased to be corrected).

Regarding the source of the kinetic energy, just like a gyroscope in a gravitational field, the electron will have tried to move a bit (tilts - ie. falls slightly in the magnetic field), with the application of the field.

Regarding where the kinetic energy goes, I too cannot see what happens to stop the precession. I do suspect that only the free and/or unpaired electrons would be subject to precession. My conclussion is that free and/or unpaired electrons must be merrily precessing along virtually all the time.

1. What is kinetic energy in the classical treatment of Larmor precession?

Kinetic energy in the classical treatment of Larmor precession refers to the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. In this context, it specifically refers to the rotational energy of a spinning object, such as a spinning top, that is experiencing Larmor precession.

2. How is kinetic energy related to Larmor precession?

In the classical treatment of Larmor precession, kinetic energy is directly related to the frequency of precession. As the kinetic energy of the spinning object increases, so does the frequency of precession. This relationship is governed by the Larmor equation, which relates the frequency of precession to the strength of the magnetic field and the gyromagnetic ratio of the spinning object.

3. Can the kinetic energy of a spinning object change during Larmor precession?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a spinning object can change during Larmor precession. As the object precesses, its kinetic energy will increase or decrease depending on the strength of the magnetic field and the gyromagnetic ratio. This change in kinetic energy is what causes the frequency of precession to also change.

4. What is the significance of kinetic energy in Larmor precession?

Kinetic energy is important in the classical treatment of Larmor precession because it is directly related to the frequency of precession. By understanding the relationship between kinetic energy and precession frequency, scientists can make predictions about the behavior of spinning objects in magnetic fields. Additionally, it allows for the calculation of the gyromagnetic ratio, an important quantity in the study of magnetism.

5. How is kinetic energy calculated in Larmor precession?

Kinetic energy in Larmor precession can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the spinning object and ω is its angular velocity. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the shape and mass distribution of the object, while the angular velocity can be determined from the precession frequency and the Larmor equation.