Kinetic energy of a particle help

In summary, a 0.600 kg particle has a speed of 2.30 m/s and a kinetic energy of 7.00 J at point B. Using the formula for kinetic energy, we can determine that its kinetic energy at point A is 1.59 J. Using the same formula, we can also calculate its speed at point B to be 4.83 m/s. The total work done on the particle as it moves from A to B is 5.41 J.

Homework Statement

A 0.600 kg particle has a speed of 2.30 m/s at point A and kinetic energy of 7.00 J at point B.

(a) What is its kinetic energy at A?
(b) What is its speed at B?
(c) What is the total work done on the particle as it moves from A to B?

Homework Equations

J= N*m

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck on this problem and don't really know how to go about starting it. I think if i new the first part I could find the other two answers, but I don't know how to do that. Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for kinetic energy?

k=.5mv^2

so, k=.5(.6)(2.3^2); k=1.59

b) 7=.5(.6)v^2; v=23.3333^.5; v=4.83

c) (sum)W= kf - ki ; (sum)W= 7-1.59 = 5.41

Thanks,
its been a long day sorry

heh. no problem. It looks like you know EXACTLY what you are doing! =)

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that a particle possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a particle of a given mass from rest to its current velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

The kinetic energy of a particle can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is its velocity.

3. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and mass?

The kinetic energy of a particle is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the particle increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

4. How does kinetic energy change with respect to velocity?

The kinetic energy of a particle is directly proportional to the square of its velocity. This means that as the velocity of the particle increases, its kinetic energy increases at a faster rate.

5. What are some real-life examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy in everyday life include a moving car, a spinning top, a swinging pendulum, and a rolling ball. Kinetic energy is also present in the movement of the molecules in a gas or liquid, and in the motion of atoms and subatomic particles.

Suggested for: Kinetic energy of a particle help

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back