Kinetic Energy of tennis ball drop

In summary, the tennis ball drops down a hill and at the end of the hill it becomes airborne. The ball has a velocity at the bottom of the hill and at the end of the hill it becomes airborne. The ball has a horizontal range that is the distance it drops in the air.
lenbc2006
1. 2) A tennis ball starts from rest rolls down a hill and at the end of the hill becomes airborne. (diagram) Find the horizontal range that the ball drops in.

2. d=v(2h/g)^.5

3. How do you go about solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have the diagram, but I assume that you have some hill given with a downward slope of given angle, and given height.

Well, let's break the problem into two parts.

First, calculate the velocity of the ball at the bottom of the hill (just before it goes airborne). How would you do this?

Then, we can treat the problem as something you have probably seen before, suppose you are standing on a cliff and throw the tennis ball with a velocity v at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] below the horizontal. How would you find the horizontal distance?

CompuChip said:
I don't have the diagram, but I assume that you have some hill given with a downward slope of given angle, and given height.

Well, let's break the problem into two parts.

First, calculate the velocity of the ball at the bottom of the hill (just before it goes airborne). How would you do this?

Then, we can treat the problem as something you have probably seen before, suppose you are standing on a cliff and throw the tennis ball with a velocity v at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] below the horizontal. How would you find the horizontal distance?

ok well i don't know if she is going to give us the angle and height but if she does i can find the height using h=v^2sintheta /2(g)

I think you got it backwards.

As I said, as I don't see any diagram, I don't know what information is precisely available, but I think you would at least need the angle and height, so either that should be given or you should be able to calculate it (e.g. horizontal length and length along the slope are given).
Once you have that, you can use the formula you gave to calculate v.
Do you know what all the symbols mean and where the formula came from?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated as one-half of the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity.

2. How does the height of the drop affect the kinetic energy of a tennis ball?

The kinetic energy of a tennis ball dropped from a specific height will increase as the height increases. This is because the ball gains more potential energy as it is lifted to a greater height, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it falls.

3. Does the weight of the tennis ball affect its kinetic energy?

Yes, the weight of the tennis ball does affect its kinetic energy. The heavier the ball, the more kinetic energy it will have when dropped from the same height compared to a lighter ball. This is because the mass of the ball is directly proportional to its kinetic energy.

4. How does the surface the tennis ball is dropped on affect its kinetic energy?

The surface the tennis ball is dropped on can affect its kinetic energy in two ways. If the surface is soft, such as a foam mat, the ball will compress upon impact and lose some of its kinetic energy. On a hard surface, such as concrete, the ball will have a more elastic collision and retain more of its kinetic energy.

5. Can the shape of the tennis ball affect its kinetic energy?

Yes, the shape of the tennis ball can affect its kinetic energy. A ball with a rounder shape will have less air resistance and will therefore have a higher kinetic energy compared to a ball with a less spherical shape. This is because the rounder ball will be able to maintain its velocity for a longer period of time due to less air resistance slowing it down.