1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic-Molecular Model of Ideal Gas: vrms/vav

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    Hey,

This should be a pretty simple problem to answer... I'm just a bit confused on this, and want to make sure I'm right. It's an easy problem:

Molecules in a gas can only move in the x direction (i.e., [tex]v_{y}=v_{z}=0)[/tex]. You set up an experiment in which you measure the velocity of a few molecules and the result that you obtain is the following (expressed in m/s):

2, -4, 6, 1, -3, -2, -5, 2, -1, 4, 3, -5

Calculate: a) the average x-component of the velocity [tex](v_{x})_{av}[/tex], b) the average speed [tex](v)_{av}[/tex], and c) the root mean square of the velocity [tex]v_{rms}[/tex]

For a), the x-component of velocity is literally just the average, right? No absolute values b/c we're not talking about speed here.

For b) because I'm being asked for the average speed, here is where I take the absolute values of all of these and average them together, right?

For c) This is where I'm most confused... Here, wouldn't I just square what I got for b) and then take the square root of it? That seems to make absolutley no sense. Would I then use the formula below?

I noticed something in the book: [tex](v_{x}^2)_{av}, (v_{y}^2)_{av}, (v_{z}^2)_{av}[/tex] must all be equal. Hence: [tex](v_{x}^2)_{av} = \displaystyle{\frac{1}{3}}(v^2)_{av}[/tex]

This wouldn't apply for this situation, correct? As the y and the z components are 0, right?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2
    Its been a while since I did some gas theory, but isn't the rms of the velocities, simply [tex]v_{rms} = \frac{A}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex] (A = Ans to part b.)
    Don't quote me on that, I'm not sure, but I think its right since rms voltage in electronics is defined in a similar way.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2006
  4. Feb 13, 2006 #3
    Thanks for responding, heh

I don't quite understand why you get that, could you explain it further?
    (I'm not doubting you, I just don't understand)

Thanks again

5. Feb 13, 2006 #4
    Bump, please...?

6. Feb 13, 2006 #5
    Would this be the same as the root-mean-square in mathematics?

[tex]\sqrt{\displaystyle{\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n}x^2}{n}}}[/tex]

So my problem would look like this:
    [tex]\sqrt{\displaystyle{\frac{2^2+(-4)^2+6^2+1^2+(-3)^2+(-2)^2+(-5)^2+2^2+(-1)^2+4^2+3^2+(-5)^2}{12}}}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?