Kinetics of Particles work and energy; A moving car

In summary, the problem involves a car traveling at a velocity of 100km/h and then skidding to a stop due to the driver reacting to an obstacle. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given as 0.25. Using the equations of motion, the distance the car travels before stopping can be calculated by accounting for the time delay and finding the distance traveled in that time. The correct answer is 178m.
sharpe_116

Homework Statement

The 2Mg (i assumed mega-gram, not sure if that is the correct term) car has a velocity of v= 100km/h when the driver sees an obstacle in front of the car.

If it takes 0.75 s for him to react and lock the brakes, causing the car to skid, determine the distance the car travels before it stops. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road is Uk= 0.25.

Homework Equations

Work and energy for a system of particles:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]T1 + [tex]\Sigma[/tex]U = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]T2

T's represent initial and final kinetic energy respectively, 1/2*m*v^2
U represents all work done by external and internal forces acting on the system.

Work of a constant force along a straight line:

U = Fcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]([tex]\Delta[/tex]s)

The Attempt at a Solution

So i tried to apply my basic equation to the question

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]T1 + [tex]\Sigma[/tex]U = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]T2

T2 equals zero (i assumed) because the car will come to rest at the end of the question
T1 will equal 1/2 mv^2 which is equal to 1/2 *(2Mg * 100km/h^2) = 10000

since the only work acting in this question is the friction force Caused by the car braking
U = Fcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]([tex]\Delta[/tex]s) therefore
U = Ff(force of friction)*[tex]\Delta[/tex]s which is = -4.905[tex]\Delta[/tex]s (negative because friction force acts in the negative direction)

so to summarize i now have

10000 -4905[tex]\Delta[/tex]s = 0.

i solved for delta s and got 2038, but this is obviously incorrect, i don't know how to apply the time delay into this question. For reference the correct answer is s = 178m

I just started this chapter and don't have my bearings yet so if you could please explain clearly how to proceed it would be appreciated, thank you

Attachments

• Probs.14-10_11.jpg
    Probs.14-10_11.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
Without doing any of my own work, here are a few pointers:
Be sure to account the fact that the given velocity is in km/h and not m/s.
Remember that the work done by a constant force can be written as F*x where x is the distance along which the force did the work.

Now, to account for the time delay, simply find the distance the car would have traveled in that time and add it to the final distance to find the distance the driver travels before stopping.

use equations of motion to get this one

1. What is the definition of Kinetics of Particles work and energy?

Kinetics of Particles work and energy is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, energy, and forces acting on particles. It involves understanding how objects move, how they interact with each other, and how energy is transferred and transformed during these interactions.

2. How does a moving car demonstrate the principles of Kinetics of Particles work and energy?

A moving car demonstrates the principles of Kinetics of Particles work and energy through its motion and the forces acting on it. As the car moves, it has kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. The car also experiences various forces, such as friction and air resistance, which can either increase or decrease its kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the Kinetics of Particles work and energy of a moving car?

The Kinetics of Particles work and energy of a moving car can be affected by various factors, such as the mass of the car, its speed, the forces acting on it, and the type of surface it is moving on. These factors can impact the car's kinetic energy and determine how it will move and accelerate.

4. How is the Kinetics of Particles work and energy of a moving car calculated?

The Kinetics of Particles work and energy of a moving car can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the car, and v is the velocity or speed of the car. This formula takes into account the mass and speed of the car, which are key factors in determining its kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of the principles of Kinetics of Particles work and energy?

The principles of Kinetics of Particles work and energy have many real-life applications, such as in the design of vehicles, understanding the motion of objects in space, and even in sports and games. This branch of physics helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in various systems and how we can optimize this energy for different purposes.