Kinetics question in 2 dimensions

In summary: So: The Attempt at a SolutionIn summary, a ball is hit by a golfer at an angle of 28 degrees with a velocity of 16.0 m/s. The ball travels a horizontal distance of 16.8m and the question asks for the velocity before impact with the ground. Using the standard constant acceleration equations, the time of flight is calculated to be 1.14 seconds. Since the acceleration in the x-direction is 0, the velocity in the x-direction remains constant at 14.18 m/s. The velocity in the y-direction can be found using the equation a=vo+vf/2, which yields a value of -19.1622 m/s. The resultant velocity can
carolyn89012

Homework Statement

A ball is hit by a golfer. The angle is 28 degrees, the velocity of the projectile is 16.0, the distance is 16.8m on horizontal. What is the velocity before impact on the ground of the ball?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Do you expect us to help you? What is giving you trouble?

Welcome to PF!

Hi carolyn89012! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Use the standard constant acceleration equations in the x and y directions separately …

what do you get? :smile:

Ok, so we have:

x=V_ox*t + 1/2 a_x t^2
16.8=14.18* t + 1/2 (0) t^2
16.8/14.18=t
t=1.14

However, a need the answer for y to continue, is that correct?

Do I solve for y distance with tan of y/x, since I know the angle?

Hi carolyn89012! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
carolyn89012 said:
Ok, so we have:

x=V_ox*t + 1/2 a_x t^2
16.8=14.18* t + 1/2 (0) t^2
16.8/14.18=t
t=1.14

Yes, that's right (btw, it's ok to just say "x = Voxt", without mentioning a, if ax = 0). :smile:

hmm … I honestly don't know what you do now …

the question doesn't seem to make sense as it is …

you've been given too much information, and it's contradictory. :frown:

Is that the complete question (eg, is the hole higher up than the golfer)?

However, a need the answer for y to continue, is that correct?

Y will be 0 since the ball is colliding with the ground.

"hmm … I honestly don't know what you do now …

the question doesn't seem to make sense as it is …

you've been given too much information, and it's contradictory. "

Yes, I agree thank you! There appears to be too much information. a_x=0, y=0, and t=1.14s after plugging in the numbers.

I, then, solved for V_x and V_y and then combined the two in solving for V_f using the the square root of the addition of (V_x)2 + (V_y)2. But don't know if any of this is correct.

Yeah, it was going to be a stupid question anyway …

golf balls have dimples which give them aerodynamic lift, so they don't follow the usual parabolic path. :rolleyes:

This question doesn't seem to have an answer, so just turn in anything. :smile:

Ok, thanks for the help anyway. :)

I, then, solved for V_x and V_y and then combined the two in solving for V_f using the the square root of the addition of (V_x)2 + (V_y)2. But don't know if any of this is correct.

Note that

[tex] V^{2}_{x} + V^{2}_{y} = V^{2}\sin^{2}(\theta) + V^{2}\cos^{2}(\theta) = V^{2} (\sin^{2}(\theta) + \cos^{2}(\theta) ) = V^{2}[/tex]

Using the trig identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1

Interesting point!

A classmate and I were just trying to figure out how to calculate sin^2 or cos^2 on our calculators--couldn't figure out what to do, nor could our TA.

ok first get the time..

Δd= vot-1/2at2

16.8= 14.127t ( the acceration for the x coordinate is 0)
t= 1.189

now use a= vo+vf /2 <<<<<solve for the Vfy

-9.8= (7.51+x)/1.189

Vfy = -19.1622m/s

now u have to get the resultant

√(-19.16222+14.1272)

the answer is then -23.80m/s and at an angle of 53.601

hope this helps...

Am I missing something? This looks like a simple problem with a parabolic trajectory. There's been no talk of wind resistance, dimples or any x-axis acceleration in the problem statement. Therefore: wouldn't the landing be symmetrical to the takeoff? Why wouldn't the velocity on landing simply be 16 m/s at -28 degrees?

Oops, yes I was missing something. I forgot th 18m horizontal. I'm done for the day.

1. What is kinetic energy in 2 dimensions?

Kinetic energy in 2 dimensions is the energy an object possesses due to its motion in two perpendicular directions, typically represented by the x and y axes. It is calculated as 1/2 * mass * (velocity in x direction)^2 + (velocity in y direction)^2.

2. How is kinetic energy related to velocity in 2 dimensions?

In 2 dimensions, kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of an object's velocity in each direction. This means that as the velocity increases, the kinetic energy increases at a much faster rate.

3. What is the formula for calculating momentum in 2 dimensions?

The formula for calculating momentum in 2 dimensions is mass * (velocity in x direction) + mass * (velocity in y direction). This takes into account the direction of the object's motion and the amount of mass it has.

4. How does kinetic energy change in 2 dimensions when an object changes direction?

When an object changes direction in 2 dimensions, its kinetic energy does not change. This is because kinetic energy is dependent on an object's speed, not its direction. However, the object's momentum will change as it changes direction.

5. Can an object have kinetic energy in only one dimension?

Yes, an object can have kinetic energy in only one dimension. This means that the object is only moving in one direction, such as on a straight line, and has no motion in the perpendicular direction. In this case, the formula for kinetic energy would only include the velocity in that one direction.