Kirchhoff's current law and nodal analysis

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the current at I in a circuit using Kirchoff's current law and nodal analysis. The person was having difficulties obtaining the correct answer and asked for help. They provided equations they had derived, but were unsure of their accuracy. The other person suggested drawing out the circuit and writing equations that make sense.
jonmondalson
Hello,

I'm looking to work out the current at I in the following circuit using Kirchoff's current law and nodal analysis:
[PLAIN]http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4792/circuitgem.jpg

Using Kirchoff's voltage law (and loop analysis), I got a current of (35/22)A, but for the current law method I'm having problems.

I obtained the following equations using Kirchoff's current law:
4i1+2i2+4i3=5
-4i3-2i4=-10
and nodal analysis:
-i2+i3-i4=0
i1+i4=I

But solving these 4 equations produces a value for I of 0, which doesn't make sense, let alone agree with the answer using the other method.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got as far as your first equation and have no idea how you got it. (Actually, I think I know, but it's nonsensical)

Try drawing the I's and V's out on the diagram and writing equations that make sense.

It's a VERY straightforward problem.

1. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL)?

Kirchhoff's Current Law, also known as the junction rule, states that the total current entering a node in an electrical circuit must equal the total current leaving that node. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

2. How is KCL used in nodal analysis?

KCL is used in nodal analysis to determine the unknown voltages at each node in a circuit. By applying KCL at each node, a system of equations can be formed and solved to find the voltages.

3. What are the key assumptions of KCL?

The key assumptions of KCL are that charge is conserved at each node and that there are no distributed or changing electric fields within the circuit. This means that all the current entering a node must also leave the node, and that there are no sources or sinks of charge within the circuit.

4. Can KCL be applied to both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, KCL can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, the analysis becomes more complex due to the presence of reactive components such as capacitors and inductors.

5. Are there any limitations to KCL?

KCL assumes that the circuit is linear and that all components have a unique voltage across them. This is not always true in practical circuits, so KCL may not always give accurate results. Additionally, KCL cannot be applied to circuits with changing magnetic fields, as it only takes into account electric fields.