Mastering Nodal Analysis for KCL and Ohm's Law: Solving Branching Node Equations

In summary: Because he is consistent, when applying KCL for a node, he considers the current going OUT of the node, not IN to the node.
physior
hello!

I have some difficulty in nodal analysis

I want to know basically how to apply KCL and Ohm's Law to find the equations

few branches meet in a node
I know that KCL means that sum of currents that enter are equal to the sum of currents are leaving the node
the problem is that I may not know the directions of the currents
1) do I choose them arbitrarily?
2) after choosing them arbitrarily, how do I find the voltage difference across a branch? V1-V2 or V2-V1 ?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physior said:
hello!

I have some difficulty in nodal analysis

I want to know basically how to apply KCL and Ohm's Law to find the equations

few branches meet in a node
I know that KCL means that sum of currents that enter are equal to the sum of currents are leaving the node
the problem is that I may not know the directions of the currents
1) do I choose them arbitrarily?
2) after choosing them arbitrarily, how do I find the voltage difference across a branch? V1-V2 or V2-V1 ?

thanks!

For KCL, you just label the node voltages that you don't know (like, V1, V2, V3, etc.), and then for each node, write the equation that is the sum of all currents *leaving* the node is equal to zero. (You can write the sum of all currents going into the node instead, but I personally like to write the equation with all currents leaving the node is equal to zero).

Does that make sense? Do you have a specific example you would like help working through?

my question is how to choose from V1-V2/R1 or V2-V1/R1
if you don't understand it, I can find an example

physior said:
my question is how to choose from V1-V2/R1 or V2-V1/R1
if you don't understand it, I can find an example

When you are writing the KCL equation for the node V1, to get the current out of node V1, you write (V1-V2)/R1.

When you are writing the KCL equation for the node V2, to get the current out of node V2, you write (V2-V1)/R1.

Makes sense?

ok, but this person does the opposite!
http://www.calvin.edu/~svleest/circuitExamples/NodeVoltageMeshCurrent/soln3.nv.htm

it doesn't really matter? but we have to be consistent somehow so that we won't end up with the wrong equations!

physior said:
it doesn't really matter? but we have to be consistent somehow so that we won't end up with the wrong equations!

Correct, it doesn't matter whether you sum all currents out of a node or into a node. Just be consistent. :smile:

well at that website, he is not actually consistent

1) basically first, we need to define how to apply Ohm's Law in a branch

if we have a branch from node V1 to node V2 with a resistor in that branch
the current is V1-V2/R or V2-V1/R?
and is the answer different if we consider arbitrarily that the current has direction from V1 to V2 or V2 to V1?

2) because in his webpage, he takes the current at the branch between V1 and V2
as (V1-V2)/5 when applying KCL for node V1
and as (V2-V1)/5 when applying KCL for node V2 !

is that consistency?

physior said:
1) basically first, we need to define how to apply Ohm's Law in a branch

if we have a branch from node V1 to node V2 with a resistor in that branch
the current is V1-V2/R or V2-V1/R?
and is the answer different if we consider arbitrarily that the current has direction from V1 to V2 or V2 to V1?
V = R*I is only true when you assign the reference polarity and direction correctly for V and I, respectively. See the figure here:

120px-OhmsLaw.svg.png

If you have a current I with a reference direction from V1 to V2, then V must also have a reference polarity from V1 to V2 as shown in the image. From KVL you have then -V1 + V + V2 = 0 or V = V1 - V2.

If the reference direction for I was from V2 to V1, then you'd have -V1 - V + V2 = 0 or V = V2 - V1 instead.

With practice you won't really need this amount of detail in your analysis.

physior said:
2) because in his webpage, he takes the current at the branch between V1 and V2
as (V1-V2)/5 when applying KCL for node V1
and as (V2-V1)/5 when applying KCL for node V2 !

is that consistency?
In both cases, he/she considers currents with reference directions outwards from the node. That's consistency.

Last edited:
why it's consistency?
basically what he does is, for a specific branch, let's say between V1 and V2, he considers the current going from V1 to V2 when applying KCL for V1 and from V2 to V1 when for V2!
that's not consistent, because he uses different current direction for the SAME current, when applying KCL !

physior said:
why it's consistency?
basically what he does is, for a specific branch, let's say between V1 and V2, he considers the current going from V1 to V2 when applying KCL for V1 and from V2 to V1 when for V2!
that's not consistent, because he uses different current direction for the SAME current, when applying KCL !
It's not the same current. He has one current, call it I1, with a reference direction from V1 to V2 and another, I2, with a reference direction from V2 to V1, so you have I1 = -I2.

it IS the same current! it runs in the same branch between V1 and V2 !
how can it NOT be the same current?
can two different currents run in the same branch?

physior said:
it IS the same current! it runs in the same branch between V1 and V2 !
how can it NOT be the same current?
can two different currents run in the same branch?
Let's say you actually built this circuit and measured the current in the branch. With, for instance, V1 = 100 V and V2 = 50 V, you'd probably agree that you'd measure 10 A with a direction from V1 to V2?

Now consider the two currents I1 and I2 that I defined in #10:

I1 = (V1 - V2)/5 A = (100 - 50)/5 A = 10 A
I2 = (V2 - V1)/5 A = (50 - 100)/5 A = -10 A

So you see, both these currents give the same result. I1 is 10 A with a direction from V1 to V2, which is correct. I2 is -10 A with a direction from V2 to V1, which is the same as 10 A with a direction from V1 to V2.

You can define all the currents you want. All that matters is that you apply Ohm's law, KVL/KCL etc. correctly, so you get true equations.

Likes berkeman
mmm I see
that was a bit tricky though, isn't it?

and if I applied KCL for V2 as this, would it be a mistake?
V1-V2/5 + V2/3 + (V2-V3)/2 = 0

physior said:
and if I applied KCL for V2 as this, would it be a mistake?
V1-V2/5 + V2/3 + (V2-V3)/2 = 0
You probably mean (V1-V2)/5 + V2/3 + (V2-V3)/2 = 0, but yes. V2/3 and (V2-V3)/2 are for currents with reference directions outwards from the node, but (V1-V2)/5 is for a current that's flowing into the node, which means they have to have opposite signs, e.g.:
-(V1-V2)/5 + V2/3 + (V2-V3)/2 = 0

1. What is nodal analysis and why is it important in circuit analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node within a circuit. It is important because it allows us to solve complex circuits with multiple voltage sources and resistors, and can also be used to analyze circuits with non-linear components.

2. How does nodal analysis relate to Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL)?

Nodal analysis is based on KCL, which states that the sum of currents flowing into a node must equal the sum of currents flowing out of that node. In nodal analysis, we use this law to form equations for each node, making it a powerful tool for solving circuits.

3. Can nodal analysis be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, we must also consider the effects of reactive components such as capacitors and inductors, which can complicate the analysis.

4. How do we apply Ohm's Law in nodal analysis?

In nodal analysis, we use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to relate the voltage at a node to the currents flowing through the resistors connected to that node. This allows us to solve for the voltage at each node in the circuit.

5. What are some tips for mastering nodal analysis?

Some tips for mastering nodal analysis include:

• Practice identifying nodes and assigning node voltages.
  • Simplify the circuit by combining series and parallel resistors before applying nodal analysis.
  • Double check your calculations and make sure your equations are set up correctly.
  • Use a systematic approach, such as starting with the node with the most connections.
  • Practice, practice, practice! The more you work with nodal analysis, the more comfortable you will become with solving complex circuits.