Kirchoff's circuits and the Electric Field

In summary: So I take this to mean that the direction of the electric field and the current is not always the same. However, according to Ohm's Law, the electric field and the current are in the same direction, so we get +IR.
Dens

Homework Statement

circuitlry.jpg

I have drawn the direction of the electric field in the picture.

I saw this on a video on youtube where this guy solves circuit problems solely on looking at the direction of the electric field. Basically he follows the current and the electric field

$$-\varepsilon_1 + IR_1 + \varepsilon_2 + IR_2 = 0$$

What is the different theory behind the approach? Is it a coincidence that they both will give the same answer or is one of them wrong? For instance between $$b$$ and $$c$$, the electric field and the current is in the same direction so we have

$$\int_{b}^{c} \mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{s} =\int_{b}^{c} Eds = -\Delta V$$

Which means the potential should be minus, but "according to Ohm's Law, the electric field and the current are in the same direction, so we get +IR" and in the battery we go "against the electric field, so we get $$-\varepsilon$$.

The circuit the guy on youtube () does involves an inductor, but I thought I could apply the same principle to regular resistor circuits. Does the equation $$\int_{b}^{c} \mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{s} = -\Delta V$$ no longer hold? Note that the integral isn't a closed loop.

Thank you for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your Kirchoff's analysis, you are using symbol E for the voltage across each component, so E has units of volts. Once you mark in a loop's current arrow, you can determine the voltage E across each component because to cause current to flow in a resistor in the agreed direction, one particular end of that component must be positive relative to the other.

In ∫E.ds the term E is the voltage gradient, in volts/metre. You don't know E in the circuit, nor s, so this equation is of no use here.

No I am using $$\vec{E}$$ in my picture as the electric field.

Also, if you go to this site

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2002/lecture-notes/

and open the file "Non-conservative Fields - Do Not Trust Your Intuition". On page 2/3 in the pdf, you see him does the same thing again. For the left loop he has $$+I_1 R_i$$ even though he assumed the direction of $$I_1$$ is clockwise and he traverses clockwise

What is Kirchoff's circuit law?

Kirchoff's circuit law, also known as Kirchoff's voltage law and Kirchoff's current law, are two fundamental principles used to analyze electrical circuits. Kirchoff's voltage law states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. Kirchoff's current law states that the sum of currents entering and leaving a junction in a circuit must also equal zero.

What is the purpose of Kirchoff's circuit law?

The purpose of Kirchoff's circuit law is to provide a systematic and mathematical method for analyzing complex electrical circuits. By applying these laws, we can determine the behavior of currents and voltages at different points in a circuit and predict how the circuit will function under different conditions.

What is the Electric Field?

The Electric Field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of an electric charge on other charges in its vicinity. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the Electric Field is the same as the direction a positive test charge would move if placed in that field.

How is the Electric Field calculated?

The Electric Field is calculated using the formula E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charge creating the field, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the Electric Field is being measured. This formula is valid for point charges, and for more complex arrangements of charges, the Electric Field can be calculated by summing the contributions from individual charges.

What are some real-life applications of Kirchoff's circuits and the Electric Field?

Kirchoff's circuit law and the concept of the Electric Field have numerous applications in our daily lives. They are used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, such as in electronic devices and power systems. The Electric Field is also utilized in technologies like capacitive touchscreens and antennas. Understanding these principles is crucial for the proper functioning of electrical systems and the development of new technologies.