1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchoff's Law and Critical Points

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1

JJBladester

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

What is/are the critical points of Kirchoff's Law:

L[tex]\left(\frac{di}{dt}\right)[/tex] + Ri = E

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved the differential equation above and got the following solution (which I verified to be correct):

i = [tex]\left(\frac{E}{R}\right)[/tex] + C[tex]e^{-\left(\frac{R}{L}\right)t}[/tex]

If I remember correctly, the critical points would be when [tex]\left(\frac{di}{dt}\right)[/tex] = 0.

[tex]\left(\frac{di}{dt}\right)[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{E}{L}\right)[/tex] - [tex]\left(\frac{R}{L}\right)[/tex]i so you have a critical point when

[tex]\left(\frac{E}{L}\right)[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{R}{L}\right)[/tex]i

Is this correct or am I on the wrong path?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, what is the definition of a critical point in this context? Do they mean critical damping of this series RL circuit, or something else?

4. Mar 12, 2009 #3

JJBladester

Gold Member

I asked my professor about the definition of a critical point in this context. She wrote back:

The critical point of a first order DEQ is the value of the dependent variable found by setting its derivative to zero.

So, my crack at an answer is:

L(di/dt) + Ri = E

di/dt + (R/L)i = E/L

0 + (R/L)i = E/L

i = E/R <----- since "i" is the dependent variable, by setting di/dt = 0, we have a critical point at E/R, or voltage/resistance.

How does this sound?

5. Mar 12, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Seems like you did the math right, I'm just not able to intuit what it means physically.

6. Mar 12, 2009 #5

JJBladester

Gold Member

Current equals voltage over resistance. This is Ohm's law, if I'm not mistaken. If di/dt = 0 then the change in current with respect to time is zero, which means if you have a circuit running at constant current, that current can be measured as voltage/resistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook