1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchoffs Law and simple circuit problem

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is in the attached image. I can't figure out what is going on. The circuit as given is at the top, I have circled what I am trying to find.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the junction law to find the current through the 3 ohm resistor to be 8 amps. Then I took three loops of the system and applied kirchoffs voltage law, and solved the system of three equations and 3 unknowns, but it's inconsistent. I don't see where I am going wrong but I suspect it has something to do with my loops.

2ptdsb8.jpg

No matter how I do this, it always works out to be impossible???

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think you're overthinking this :smile:

Assign a potential of 0V to the node labeled d (make it a reference node). Then using the known currents and resistances, assign relative potentials to nodes b, h, f. Continue...

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    That potential of 0 volts is from which voltage source though? I'm not sure I understand what you mean exactly. I have done about 20 problems like this, finding currents and resistances and emf's without any problems just doing loops and solving. It should work?

If you mean, using node d as the "ground" if I were say, hooking up a multimeter or something, then how do you know that node d has 0 potential?

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4

gneill

It's zero because you say it is :smile: It's a point of reference, as you say, as if you were to connect the negative lead of your multimeter to it. The same thing is done when you choose a reference node for nodal analysis. The circuit as a whole has no absolute potential reference to anything external, so you're free to assign your own "zero" reference point.

EDIT: Note that your choice of loops did not include the 3 Ω resistor in any path. That's why the system of equations you wrote would not yield a consistent result. Your equations must cover every component.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  6. Mar 23, 2012 #5
    I didn't know that you had to hit every component, but that makes sense since most/all of the variables are dependent on the others. To be clear, I need to make sure I cover all the components in my system, but that does not mean I need to do all possible loops right?
    (I got the right solution now, knowing that information, thanks!)

7. Mar 23, 2012 #6

gneill

Correct.

8. Mar 24, 2012 #7
    Got it, thanks Gneill.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook