Kirchoff's rules & resistors in parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses using Kirchhoff's junction and loop rules to find the effective resistance of two resistors connected in parallel. The participants go through several iterations of applying the rules and eventually end up with the equation 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2. They also discuss using Ohm's law and substitution to solve the problem.
Flucky

Homework Statement

Use Kirchhoff’s junction rule and loop rule (twice) to find the effective resistance of the two
resistors connected in parallel as shown, and demonstrate that this agrees with the expression 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2

(poorly drawn picture of the circuit)
circuit.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Kirchoff's 1st law:
I1 = I2 + I3

Using Kirchoff's 2nd law:
E - I2R1 = 0 ... [1]
and
I2R1 - I3R2 = 0 ... [2]

Now I think I can say that E = I1R
Subtituting that into equation [1] gives:
I1R - I2R1 = 0

Now here's where I'm having difficulty, I keep trying out different ways of substituting the equations into one another but end up with stupid answers like R = R2...

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Mistake in your second law,
This is not a complicated circuit, just use two variables for current if u want.

Replace i3 as (i1-i2)

See the circuit as two individual boxes, running your finger from the top left hand corner and try to apply the rule again.

Last edited:
bsbs said:
Mistake in your second law,
This is not a complicated circuit, just use two variables for current if u want.

Replace i3 as (i1-i2)

See the circuit as two individual boxes, running your finger from the top left hand corner and try to apply the rule again.

Sorry I must be missing something, I can't see what's wrong with the 2nd law bit

Flucky said:
Sorry I must be missing something, I can't see what's wrong with the 2nd law bit
Loop 1,

-R1(I2)+E=0

Loop 2,

-R2(I1-I2)+R1(I2)=0

Last edited:
bsbs said:
i help you with one...try to write the other loop

Loop 1,

-R1(I2)+E=0

That's what I got for my loop 1, so it must be my loop 2 that's incorrect.

If it's not I2R1 - I3R2 = 0 is it E - I2R3 = 0 ?

Flucky said:
That's what I got for my loop 1, so it must be my loop 2 that's incorrect.

If it's not I2R1 - I3R2 = 0 is it E - I2R3 = 0 ?

see my loop 2 above, also take note that your E=IR

ok? solved?

Last edited:
bsbs said:
see my loop 2 above, also take note that your E=IR

Thanks for replying but we're back to the beginning now as that's what I had already got, it's the next bit I'm having trouble with - getting the equation 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2

Flucky said:
Thanks for replying but we're back to the beginning now as that's what I had already got, it's the next bit I'm having trouble with - getting the equation 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2

R = (1/R1 + 1/R2)-1

What are you getting for R?

Flucky said:

sorry, didnt notice that your eq is also correct.

Last edited:
have you tried substitute ohm's law into your KCL?

KCL states :current at a junction is zero
ohm states: I=E/R

something like I1=E/(1/R1 + 1/R2)-1

etc etc...does it helps?

1. What are Kirchoff's rules and how are they used in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's rules are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that are used to determine the behavior of electric circuits. The first rule, known as Kirchoff's Current Law, states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. The second rule, known as Kirchoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

2. How do you apply Kirchoff's rules to circuits with resistors in parallel?

To apply Kirchoff's rules to circuits with resistors in parallel, you first need to identify all the parallel branches in the circuit. Then, you can use Kirchoff's Voltage Law to determine the voltage across each branch, and Kirchoff's Current Law to determine the current through each branch. Finally, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance of each branch.

3. Can Kirchoff's rules be used to calculate the total resistance of a parallel circuit?

No, Kirchoff's rules cannot be used to directly calculate the total resistance of a parallel circuit. However, once you have determined the voltage and current in each branch using Kirchoff's rules, you can use the formula 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn to calculate the total resistance, where RT is the total resistance and R1, R2, ..., Rn are the resistances of each individual branch.

4. How do you calculate the total current in a circuit with resistors in parallel?

To calculate the total current in a circuit with resistors in parallel, you can use Kirchoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node must equal zero. This means that the total current entering the parallel branches must equal the total current exiting the branches. You can also use Ohm's Law (I=V/R) to calculate the current through each branch and then add them together to determine the total current.

5. What is the advantage of using parallel resistors in a circuit?

The advantage of using parallel resistors in a circuit is that it allows for multiple paths for current to flow, which decreases the overall resistance of the circuit. This can be useful in situations where a large amount of current is needed, as it reduces the strain on individual resistors and can prevent them from overheating or burning out. Additionally, parallel resistors can be used to create different voltage levels in a circuit, as the voltage across each branch will be the same.