Kondo resonance - need concept help.

In summary, the Kondo effect is an exchange of spin between a free conducting electron and a magnetic metal impurity, leading to additional scatter and an increase of resistivity at low temperatures. This effect also produces a resonance, but the concept of what is resonating and how it leads to an increase in local density of states is still unclear. Mahan's "Many-Particle Physics" text offers a detailed explanation of this phenomenon, but it is currently on loan at the university library.
Beer-monster
I've come across the Kondo effect in my research and specifically measuring the Kondo resonance. Now I'm sure I don't need to be an expert but I having some trouble clearing the concepts, the actual physics in my head.

I know the Kondo effect is an exchange of spin do to an interaction between a free conducting electron and a magnetic metal impurity, which leads to additional scatter and an increase of resistivity at low temp.

However what I'm having trouble with is understanding how this produces a resonance. What is resonating? How does this effect lead to an sudden increase in local density of states?

Appreciate any help with clarifying this matter:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
OK... let me ask you this. Do you have Mahan's "Many-Particle Physics" text? He has quite an extensive discussion of this effect. If you do, and you don't quite understand what he's saying, then we can at least start from that level.

Zz.

Afraid not. I can try the university library

They have it but its on loan at the moment

1. What is Kondo resonance?

Kondo resonance is a phenomenon in condensed matter physics that occurs when a localized magnetic impurity is introduced into a metal. It is characterized by a sharp peak in the density of states at the Fermi level, which results in a significant increase in the electrical resistance of the material at low temperatures.

2. How does Kondo resonance occur?

Kondo resonance occurs due to the interaction between the magnetic impurity and the conduction electrons in the metal. This interaction leads to the formation of a bound state, known as the Kondo singlet, which results in the peak in the density of states at the Fermi level.

3. What is the significance of Kondo resonance in research?

Kondo resonance is of great interest in research as it provides valuable insights into the behavior of strongly correlated electron systems. It has also been used to study the properties of magnetic impurities and has applications in the development of new materials for spintronics and quantum computing.

4. Can Kondo resonance be observed in real-world systems?

Yes, Kondo resonance has been observed in various experimental systems, including metals, semiconductors, and superconductors. It has also been observed in real-world applications, such as in the study of magnetic impurities in nanoscale devices.

5. Are there any challenges in understanding Kondo resonance?

Yes, there are still some challenges in understanding the full extent of Kondo resonance. This is due to the complex nature of the interactions between the magnetic impurity and the conduction electrons, as well as the effects of temperature, magnetic fields, and other external factors. However, ongoing research continues to shed light on this fascinating phenomenon.