Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kondo resonance - need concept help.

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    I've come across the Kondo effect in my research and specifically measuring the Kondo resonance. Now I'm sure I don't need to be an expert but I having some trouble clearing the concepts, the actual physics in my head.

I know the Kondo effect is an exchange of spin do to an interaction between a free conducting electron and a magnetic metal impurity, which leads to additional scatter and an increase of resistivity at low temp.

However what I'm having trouble with is understanding how this produces a resonance. What is resonating? How does this effect lead to an sudden increase in local density of states?

Appreciate any help with clarifying this matter:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

OK... let me ask you this. Do you have Mahan's "Many-Particle Physics" text? He has quite an extensive discussion of this effect. If you do, and you don't quite understand what he's saying, then we can at least start from that level.

Zz.

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3
    Afraid not. I can try the university library

5. Jan 29, 2007 #4
    They have it but its on loan at the moment

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?