LA : Just a quick question. Easy answer.

• Thread starter JonathanT
  • Start date
In summary, the student computed Ax = 0 and found x = [-t, 0 ,-t, t]^T where x4 = t. They then wrote the basis for the Ker(A) as [1,0,1,-1]^T and asked if they were correct in thinking that [-1,0,-1,1]^T is also a valid basis. The expert states that both are valid and that any nonzero scalar multiple of the vector would also be a valid basis. The expert also clarifies that their answer is correct for a regular basis, not an orthonormal one. The student will discuss this with their TA to potentially receive the 6 points they were marked down for this question.
JonathanT
Ok so I just got my test back for Linear Algebra and I was told to find a basis for the ker(A) where A = \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ -1 & 1 & -1 & -2 \end{array}

now I computed Ax = 0 and found x = [-t, 0 ,-t, t]^T. where x4 = t.

Then I wrote the basis as [1,0,1,-1]^T because I was under the impression that the basis is unique to any scalar multiple of the basis. So I simply took the scalar -1 to make as much of the basis positive as possible as I understand the convention is.

Am I wrong is thinking that the basis for the Ker(A) is [1,0,1,-1]^T as well as [-1,0,-1,1]^T?

I was marked of 6 points for this problem and I just wanted to make sure my logic was correct before I took a trip to the TA and looked like an idiot.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JonathanT said:
Ok so I just got my test back for Linear Algebra and I was told to find a basis for the ker(A) where A = \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ -1 & 1 & -1 & -2 \end{array}

Then I wrote the basis as [1,0,1,-1]^T because I was under the impression that the basis is unique to any scalar multiple of the basis. So I simply took the scalar -1 to make as much of the basis positive as possible as I understand the convention is.

Am I wrong is thinking that the basis for the Ker(A) is [1,0,1,-1]^T as well as [-1,0,-1,1]^T?

I was marked of 6 points for this problem and I just wanted to make sure my logic was correct before I took a trip to the TA and looked like an idiot.

Thanks for your time.

I have never heard of any "convention" about making something as "positive as possible". Either [1,0 1 -1]^T or [-1,0,-1,1]^T or [1/4,0,1/4,-1/4]^T or [-1/√3, 0,-1/√3, 1/√3]^T, [150,0,150,-150]^T etc., etc. are all perfectly good answers to the question, but it would be most "reasonable" to go with the first, second or fourth possibility above.

Is 6 not a good mark on the question?

RGV

JonathanT said:

Thanks for your time.

If the problem asked for an orthonormal basis, then you would have to divide your vector by its norm. If not, then your answer is correct as stated. Any nonzero scalar multiple of your vector would also be correct.

Ray Vickson said:
I have never heard of any "convention" about making something as "positive as possible". Either [1,0 1 -1]^T or [-1,0,-1,1]^T or [1/4,0,1/4,-1/4]^T or [-1/√3, 0,-1/√3, 1/√3]^T, [150,0,150,-150]^T etc., etc. are all perfectly good answers to the question, but it would be most "reasonable" to go with the first, second or fourth possibility above.

Is 6 not a good mark on the question?

RGV

Thanks both of you. I'm glad I'm not crazy. Sorry I guess I didn't mean convention. I guess it would have been better to say that its the way its done by people like me who are "anal." I'll go talk to my TA about this and get my 6 points back. He only gave me 4/10 for the question.

And it was just a regular basis not an orthonormal one. Thanks for the help. Any theorem or proof I could show for this?

EDIT: Nvm, clearly Ax = 0 is a good enough proof.

Last edited:

1. What is LA?

LA stands for Los Angeles, which is a city located in the state of California in the United States.

2. What is the population of LA?

As of 2020, the estimated population of LA is 3.99 million people.

3. Why is LA called the "City of Angels"?

LA is called the "City of Angels" because the Spanish name for the city, "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula," translates to "The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels of the Porciúncula River."

4. What is the weather like in LA?

The weather in LA is typically warm and sunny, with an average temperature of 72°F (22°C). However, it can vary throughout the year and can also be affected by the city's diverse topography.

5. What are some popular attractions in LA?

Some popular attractions in LA include the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Universal Studios Hollywood, Santa Monica Pier, and Griffith Observatory.