Lab help (Millikan oil drop experiment)

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to calculate mass using the density of oil, and came up with different values for M depending on the radius of the oil droplet. He then plotted a graph of Voltage against Mass and found a line of best fit. Next, he used the line gradient to find the charge on the droplet.
Matt1234
Hello,
We did a lab in class yesterday and we are expected to write a report and graph our results. The lab was a simulation of the Millikan oil drop experiment. We used graphing calculators to do the simulation and took down 15 results. One thing i don't understand is how to come up with the charge for any given value.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

q= (m g r) / V
Where
m = mass
g = 9.8
r = distance OR plate separation (i am not sure, i have 2 values that could be R)
V = voltage

The other equation he gave us was m = (4/3) Pi r^3 P
pi = 3.14...
r = radius
P = density of oil

I looked up the density of oil to be:
vegetable oil
(0.923 grams) per (cubic centimeter) = 923 kilograms per (cubic meter)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried some calculations i kept comming up with different values for M (which i think is the case since no two oil droplets would be the same mass. ) Yet the equation he gave us for calculating mass using the density confuses me since m is NOT going to be constant.

I am required to:
Show a sample calculation for determining the mass of the droplet and the charge on the droplet, along with the rest of my report.

Can someone please help me make sense of this?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we know that E= V/d, where V is the voltage applied and d is the distance between the plates, and that the electric force is given by F=Eq = Vq/d.

This must be equal to our weight force, F=mg, so that mg=Vq/d, giving q= mgd/V.

Your value R in the second column in the radius of each oil drop. Hence, the mass of the drop is just its volume times its density, or the formula you have above. The next thing you should be doing is drawing up another column, and write up the corresponding masses for each sample of different radius. Yes, you will get many different masses, each corresponding to a different Voltage.

You took 15 samples for a reason, you knew you would get different answers, all with some error. The point of taking 15 is to reduce your error, as some will lie above the right value, some less. To incorporate all your samples information, you have to now plot a graph of Voltage against Mass for your 15 samples. Your points should look at least approximately linear.

The next step is to take a good judgment and draw a line of best fit - a straight line that best approximates the data points. A good line of best fit should have approximately the same number of sample points above the line as there are below it. Once you have a good line of best fit, it is easy to determine that lines gradient. But remember what this gradient value represents, it is a "good" value for V/d, by good I mean that it sort of incorporates the information of all your data points. Now that we have a good value of V/d, call this value T, we know from before that q= mgd/V = gd/T. As we know the separation distance of the plates and gravitational acceleration, we can calculate q.

Thank you so much, that helped alot. I used the formulas and compared to my results so i could find P to be 855 which is a reasonable number for oil.

Thank you sir!

1. What is the purpose of the Millikan oil drop experiment?

The purpose of the Millikan oil drop experiment is to determine the charge of an electron, a fundamental unit of electricity. This experiment also helped to confirm the quantization of electric charge and provided evidence for the existence of subatomic particles.

2. How is the Millikan oil drop experiment performed?

In this experiment, tiny charged droplets of oil are suspended in a chamber between two charged plates. By measuring the rate at which the droplets fall under the influence of gravity and an electric field, the charge of the droplets can be calculated. This allows for the determination of the charge of the electron.

3. What materials are needed for the Millikan oil drop experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a vacuum chamber, a source of charged particles (such as an X-ray tube), a microscope, a dropper containing oil, and a power supply to create an electric field. Additionally, various measuring instruments and tools such as a stopwatch and a balance may be required.

4. What are the sources of error in the Millikan oil drop experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include air currents that can affect the motion of the oil droplets, variations in the electric field, and inconsistencies in the oil droplets themselves. Additionally, human error in measuring and recording data can also contribute to inaccuracies in the results.

5. How is the charge of an electron calculated from the Millikan oil drop experiment?

The charge of an electron can be calculated by measuring the mass and velocity of the oil droplets, as well as the strength of the electric field and the rate at which the droplets fall. From these measurements, the charge of the droplet and therefore the charge of an electron can be determined using the formula Q = mgE/v, where Q is the charge of the droplet, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, E is the electric field strength, and v is the velocity of the droplet.