Lab Questions on gravitational potential energy and Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation involved calculating maximum power while running up a flight of stairs. The first part involved finding the change in gravitational potential energy using mass and height. The second part used the information from the first and third steps to find average kinetic energy. In the third part, there was some confusion about using work and force instead of energy, but the correct calculation is using the change in gravitational energy. The final result was a power of 23.88 W.
NeomiXD
In this investigation I had to calculate my maximum power as I run up a flight of stairs. These are a few questions that I have for my lab. I want to know if my calculations are right.

Given:

1. mass: 70kg
2. h = 1.17m
3. d= 1.78m
4. t = 2.02s

Use the information from 1 and 2 to find the change in gravitational potential energy.

ΔEG = mgΔh
ΔEG = (70kg) (9.8 N/kg) (1.17m)
ΔEG = 802.62 J

Use the information in steps 1 and 3 to find average kinetic energy.

v = Δd/Δt
v = 1.78m/2.02s
v = 0.88m/s

Ek = mv²/2
Ek = (70kg) (0.88m/s)²/2
Ek = 27.10 J

Using the information in steps 4 and 7 find your power.

W = (27.10J) (1.78m)
W = 23.08 W

P = W/Δt
P = 48.24 J/2.02s
P = 23.88 W

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitational energy looks fine. I'm pretty sure your kinetic calculation is all right too, unless they want you to find the total distance traveled (using the height and the horizontal distance). There seems to be some confusion in the third part. Remember Work=FORCE*distance, not energy*distance, and remember the units of force and work are Newtons and joules (units of energy are the same as for work).

Is this right for the third part

P = Ek/Δt
P = 27.10 J / 2.02s
P = 13.42 W

Well...this is what I think. Remember that the full equation for work is F*d cos theta. If theta is 90 degrees (the force is perpendicular to the distance) cos theta is 0. So, I think you shouldn't use the kinetic energy for this, it is changing perpendicular to the distance you are looking at (the height). Use the change in gravitational energy for this, and you'll be done.

Your calculations appear to be correct. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure all units are consistent. Also, consider discussing any potential sources of error in your measurements or calculations. Overall, your results show that you have a power output of 23.88 watts while running up the stairs, which is a good indicator of your physical fitness and strength. Keep up the good work!

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is stored in an object as a result of its height relative to a reference point.

What factors affect the amount of gravitational potential energy an object has?

The amount of gravitational potential energy an object has is affected by its mass, height, and the strength of the gravitational field it is in.

How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to a reference point.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is the energy that an object has when it is in motion.

How is kinetic energy related to gravitational potential energy?

The potential energy of an object is converted into kinetic energy as the object falls towards a lower position in a gravitational field. This means that as an object falls, its gravitational potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases.