Lack of dandelions this year

HankDorsett

Gold Member
I live in North Central Illinois. I just noticed that this year there are almost no dandelions in anyone's yard. Normally I would see them everywhere but I've only seen a handful. We have had an odd summer this year. We went from warm with an abundance of rain that delayed crop planting to below normal temperatures. I'm curious if anyone else has seen this observation elsewhere?

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

HankDorsett

Gold Member
..., plus abundance of grasshoppers (locusts); every year is different and has its own identity.
An abundance of crickets for us. I understand that every year could be different but this is the first time that I've noticed this.

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I just noticed that this year there are almost no dandelions in anyone's yard.
It's very late in the season - they emerge in late spring/early summer. You don't expect many now.

HankDorsett

Gold Member

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It's been like this all year
Colorado every year, this year from winter to summer in mid-May (?); my locust trees have "learned" not to leaf out too early (seven of nine, actually) the other two are freeze-kill.

Dandelions ? Holidaying in UK, I fear: My garden's over-run...

jim mcnamara

Mentor
It is not just dandelions that are "missing", birds really are dying off:
Decline of the North American avifauna, Rosenberg et al,
Science 19 Sep 2019: eaaw1313 DOI: 10.1126/science.aaw1313

3 billion fewer birds now , which is 29% less than the 1970 abundance.

Insects populations are also in steep decline:
Based on Ensia article dated Nov 1 2018 , M Hoff

Last edited:
I do not miss the dandelions at all. I've always had far more than my share.

I have been worried about the disappearance of insects and flowering plants in general this year our Virginia sweet spire was utterly devoid of pollinators which is usually a pollinator magnet. Here dandelions have long been replaced by the far worse Chinese lespedeza that has adapted to bloom at lawn height.

I have suspected the use of lawn chemicals and the spread of more insidious nonnative plants such as chinese lespedeza for a while in replacing native and naturalized plants (note that dandelions are naturalized plants originally brought over as food) These sorts of small changes are important as they may be a piece in the much larger ecological problem in particular dandelions at least provide a source of nectar for pollonators unlike the desolate ecological deserts known as "lawns".

Anecdotally their seems to be consistent correlation between those activities and pollinator declines but it isn't really rigorous as it is limited to one location and correlation does not equal causation.
Ultimately though it seems to get worse year after year which makes me worry this is only the "canary in the coal mine". The use of biocides over scalping of "lawns" indroduction of more destructive weeds, irregular patterns of droughts, sudden swings in the weather between extremes hot cold wet dry etc. all come to mind as possible factors.

HankDorsett

Gold Member
Update. After two 90-degree days with rain they started popping up. Unfortunately the 65 degree days following didn't help them seed out.