1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ladder operators and harmonic oscillator

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    1. Explain why any term (such as AA†A†A†)with unequal numbers of raising and lowering operators has zero expectation value in the ground state of a harmonic oscillator.

Explain why any term (such as AA†A†A) with a lowering operator on the extreme right has zero expectation value in the ground state of a harmonic oscillator.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Please help as I'm totally stuck with this. Does it have to do with orthonormality of different eigenfunctions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it has, and also consider the ground state as the problem tells you to do.

what is the effect of A on |0> ? And what about it's dual? i.e. <0|A†

Now give it a try, star with your first operator AA†A†A† and tell us what you get and why

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3
    with AA†A†A† I get [tex]\psi[/tex][tex]_{}n+2[/tex]. The first to terms convert [tex]\psi[/tex][tex]_{}n[/tex] into different eigenfunctions. Because [tex]\psi[/tex][tex]_{}n[/tex] is orthonormal to these eigenfunctions, these terms can be dropped from the integral.

Correct?

Also since the lowering operator is first to act on the ground-state harmonic iscillator, this takes it below the ground-state which cannot be allowed.

On the right track?

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a hard tome to understand your language..

with AA†A†A† acting on the state to the right (remember that this is sandwiched between [itex]\psi^* _0 [/itex] and [itex]\psi _0 [/itex], the two first will give you [itex]\psi _2 [/itex] so what is left is

[itex]\psi^* _0 AA^{\dagger} \psi_2 [/itex]

do the rest of the operation:
    [itex]\psi^* _0 \psi_2 [/itex]
    thus integral gives zero

And yes, you can't go further down with the ground state, thus A|0> = 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook