Bound States, Negative Potential, Alternate Basis, Matrix Mechanics

In summary, the student is trying to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hamiltonian in a different basis. They are having trouble doing so because they are using a matrix form of the Hamiltonian that they are not familiar with. They are looking for a hint or a way to do this that they can use before resorting to numerical methods.
GeneralGrant

Homework Statement

Given the potential

V(x) = - 1/ sqrt(1+x^2)

Consider this in a 50x50 matrix representation of the hamiltonian in the basis of a one dimensional harmonic oscillator. Determine the eigenvalues and eigenvecotrs, the optimal parameter for the basis, and cop ate the results to the previous problem. plot the eigenfunctions and check the orthogonality.

Hbar = mass = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the previous problem is to use a shooting method to find the first 10 eigenstates which i have done, and plotted the Eigenfunctions. E = -.669, -.274, -.157, -.09 . . .

But this part actually uses quantum mechanics which i don't know very well.

I believe I need to perform the task

<O | H | O> ??

such that O is an operator in the Harmonic oscillator basis. But i don't know how to do that since the operators are matrices, and my Hamiltonian is a differential equation. I know the matrix form of the X and P operators of the harmonic oscillator, and i have done this for the problem being that of an alternate harmonic oscillator, e.g., describe H(w=.5) in basis of H(w=1). in that problem i just replaced the X and P operators with the ones form the other Basis.

But when i tried to do this for the hamiltonian

H = P^2/2m -1 /sqrt(1+X^2) with X and P the Harmonic oscillator operators, there is a division by zero that ruins the results for all the zero terms in X^2.

Looking around and in my old books, I'm fining Matrix information and Equational information but not so much on transporting between the two(except for the HO of course which is every where and partially why i want to use it)

How does one perform perform these Bra Ket actions?
does one transform a hamiltonian into its own operator form first or can i use the operators from a Harmonic Oscillator?
Is there a way to represent this hamiltonian in the HO basis using the matrix forms of the HO?

Note this problem is not from a Quantum Physics course, but from a computational course.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is a Hamiltonian ##\hat{H}##, of which you need to find the eigenvalues ##E_n## and eigenvectors ##\psi_n##,
$$
\hat{H} \psi_n = E_n \psi_n
$$
The wave function is to be written in terms of a basis of harmonic oscillator functions
$$
\psi_n = \sum_i c_{n,i} \phi_i
$$
where the ##c_{n,i}## are (complex) coefficients and ##\phi_i## are eigenfunctions of the harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian ##\hat{H}_{\mathrm{ho}}##
$$
\hat{H}_{\mathrm{ho}} \phi_i = E_i \phi_i
$$
In this basis, your original Hamiltonian ##\hat{H}## can be expressed as a matrix ##H##, with elements
$$
H_{ij} = \langle \phi_i | \hat{H} | \phi_j \rangle
$$
This is what you need to calculate. I'm not sure how you are supposed to go about it. The ##\phi_i## are easy to find in any QM textbook, but I'm not sure if you can get analytical expressions for the ##H_{ij}## or if you have to calculate them numerically.

Once you have ##H## in matrix form, the eigenvectors you find are going to be vectors of coefficients ##c_n##.

Likes 1 person
I have to solve it numerically, I'm pretty sure of that.
But i know know what the expression
$$
< O | \hat{H} | O >
$$
means other then it is an inner product of the matrix $\hat{H}$ and O and then a product with the transpose of O.

I think its supposed to representable as an integral somehow? But i doubt that is what we are supposed to do.

Previously in the course: we did the following

X(in the w=.5 basis) = some matrix a
p(in the w=.5 basis) = some matrix b

Then

H(in the basis w=1) = (1/2m)(matrix multiplication of(b with b(transpose)) + m w^2 /2 (matrix multiplication of (a with a(transpose))

which yielded a none diagonal matrix, if the basis were the same it would be diagonal, and then we solve it for the diagonal matrix and get the awnser.

Can i use a and b in my new H similar to how we did before, they said that this old problem was a hint at doing this one?

Related to Bound States, Negative Potential, Alternate Basis, Matrix Mechanics

1. What are bound states in physics?

Bound states are states in which a particle is confined to a specific region of space due to the presence of a potential energy barrier. This means that the particle's energy is lower than the potential energy outside of the barrier, allowing it to remain trapped in the region.

2. What is negative potential in physics?

Negative potential in physics refers to a potential energy that decreases as the distance from a source increases. This is in contrast to positive potential, which increases as the distance from the source increases. Negative potential can be found in systems such as electric fields and gravitational fields.

3. What is an alternate basis in physics?

An alternate basis in physics refers to a set of mathematical functions that can be used to represent a physical system. These functions are often chosen because they are more convenient or intuitive for solving a particular problem than the traditional basis of a system. An example of an alternate basis in quantum mechanics is the spherical harmonics used to describe the behavior of electrons in an atom.

4. What is matrix mechanics in physics?

Matrix mechanics is a formulation of quantum mechanics that uses matrices to describe the physical properties of a system. This approach was developed by Werner Heisenberg and Max Born in the 1920s and was one of the two main formulations of quantum mechanics, along with wave mechanics, until they were later shown to be equivalent.

5. How are bound states described in matrix mechanics?

In matrix mechanics, bound states are described by a set of matrices known as the Hamiltonian matrix. These matrices represent the energy and position of a particle within a particular potential energy field. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian matrix correspond to the allowed energy levels and wavefunctions, respectively, for the bound state system.