1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic Oscillator and Ladder Operators

1. Jan 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a linear harmonic oscillator with the solution defined by the ladder operators a and a. Use the number basis |n⟩ to do the following.

a) Construct a linear combination of |0⟩ and |1⟩ to form a state |ψ⟩ such that ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩ is as large as
    possible.

b) Suppose that the oscillator is in the state constructed in a) at time t = 0. Write an expression to describe the time dependence of this state state for t > 0. Evaluate the expectation value ⟨ψ(t)|X|ψ(t)⟩ as a function of time for t > 0.

c) Defining (∆x)2 = ⟨ψ(t)|X2|ψ(t)⟩ − ⟨ψ(t)|X|ψ(t)⟩2. Calculate (∆x)2.

2. Relevant equations

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 17.21.38.png Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 17.21.50.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a hunch that for part a) I need to consider some |ψ⟩ = A|0⟩ + B|1⟩, then differentiate the expression ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩. However I'm not sure how to implement that, any hints?

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not just go ahead and calculate <X> for arbitrary ##A, B## as your hunch suggests?

4. Jan 6, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

Ok so I substituted |ψ⟩ = A|0⟩ + B|1⟩ into ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩, and from simple manipulation I have:

<X> = A*A⟨0|X|0⟩ + A*B⟨0|X|1⟩ + B*A ⟨1|X|0⟩ + B*B ⟨1|X|1⟩

Is this correct? I wonder what can be done to simplify it, should I substitute X in terms of a and a†?

5. Jan 6, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it's correct. You need to know (or calculate) ##<0|X|0>## and ##<1|X|1>##. You have to calculate ##<0|X|1>## as well. The other term is related to this (hint: think about complex numbers).

You can use the ladder operator or just integrate (if you have a list of standard Gaussian type integrals).

6. Jan 6, 2016 #5
    I've ended up with:

<X> = (h/2mw)2 [A*B + B*A]

Now to obtain |ψ⟩ which maximizes <X>, we set <X> = 0 and solve for A and B. This gives: A*B = -B*A. How would one solve for the two unknowns then?

7. Jan 6, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd double check that factor you've got.

I'll give you that ##A^*B + B^*A = A^*B + (A^*B)^* = 2Re(A^*B)##. It's useful not to forget that.

To maximise this, you know that ##|A|^2 + |B|^2 = 1##. Try expressing these in polar form with magnitudes ##a, b## and note that:

If ##a, b## are real and ##a^2 + b^2 = 1## then ##a = cos(\alpha)## and ##b = sin(\alpha)## for some ##\alpha##. It's useful to remember that as well.

It's not too hard to maximise ##Re(A^*B)## using this.

8. Jan 6, 2016 #7
    Ah oops, is it: <X> = (h/2mw)1/2 [A*B + B*A]

I ended up with α = π/4.

And so |ψ⟩ = A|0⟩ + B|1⟩ = cos(π/4) |0⟩ + sin(π/4) |1⟩

Not sure about that part as we've solved for the real parts of A and B, but not A and B themselves.

9. Jan 6, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd move on with with ##A = B = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##

##Re(A^*B) = Re(ae^{-i\theta_A} be^{i \theta_B}) = abcos(\theta_B - \theta_A)## was what you missed out.

10. Jan 6, 2016 #9
    Ah I see now, so it's the case that:
    ##|ψ⟩ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0⟩ + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1⟩ ##

11. Jan 6, 2016 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the simplest. I.e. taking ##\theta_A = \theta_B = 0##. Although, any common ##\theta## would have done.

12. Jan 6, 2016 #11
    Is it worth putting ##\theta## in or considering the simplest case for the following parts do you think?

13. Jan 6, 2016 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Definitely not! It says "construct a state ...". Always take the easiest option.

14. Jan 6, 2016 #13
    Good point :).

For the first part of b) I've got the following, just want to check it's right.

##|ψ⟩ = e^{\frac{-iE_0t}{h}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|0⟩ + e^{\frac{-iE_1t}{h}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|1⟩ ## where ## E_n ## is the nth energy eigenvalue given by ##E_n = (n+\frac{1}{2})hw##

15. Jan 6, 2016 #14

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.

16. Jan 7, 2016 #15
    Great! So I've calculated ## ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩ ## and obtained:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩= \sqrt{\frac{h}{8mw}} (e^{\frac{it(E_0 - E_1)}{h}} + e^{\frac{it(E_1 - E_0)}{h}}) ##

As for part c, for ## ⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2 ## I square the expression above to get:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2 = \frac{h}{8mw} (e^{\frac{2it(E_0 - E_1)}{h}} + e^{\frac{2it(E_1 - E_0)}{h}} + 2) ##

Is that correct so far.

17. Jan 7, 2016 #16

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are going to find QM difficult if you keep forgetting about complex conjugates! You need to simplify those expressions.

18. Jan 7, 2016 #17
    Yes, I should've clicked on. It would simplify to:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩= \sqrt{\frac{h}{2mw}} cos(\frac{t}{h} (E_0 - E_1)) ##

And so:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2= \frac{h}{2mw} cos^2(\frac{t}{h} (E_0 - E_1)) ##

19. Jan 7, 2016 #18

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can do something with ##E_0 - E_1## as well. And, remember that ##cos## is an even function.

20. Jan 7, 2016 #19
    Aha!

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩= \sqrt{\frac{h}{2mw}} cos(wt) ##

And so:

##⟨ψ|X|ψ⟩^2= \frac{h}{2mw} cos^2(wt) ##

Now it looks splendid.

21. Jan 7, 2016 #20
    Final thing, for ##⟨ψ|X^2|ψ⟩## I got:

##⟨ψ|X^2|ψ⟩= \frac{h}{mw} ##, is that correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted