Lagrange - A rope sliding off a table - quite difficult?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hanging rope of length D and mass M on a frictionless table. The length of the hanging section is A and it increases with time. The system is characterized by a dimensionless coordinate, f(t) = A(t)/D, and the kinetic and potential energy of the rope are to be found as functions of df/dt and f respectively. A solution attempt is provided, but there are some discrepancies in the Lagrangian equation of motion. The conversation ends with a discussion on the form of the equation of motion.
jeebs
Hi people, here's my problem:
A uniform, flexible rope of length D, mass M, hangs off a frictionless table-top of height greater than D. The length of the section of rope hanging off is A. Gravity accelerates the part of the rope that is hanging off, so the length of the hanging part increases - A is a function of time t.

This system is entirely characterised by a single dimensionless coordinate, f(t) = A(t)/D, which is the fraction of the rope that is hanging over, which also is a function of time. Only consider times so that A(t) </= D, or in other words, f(t) </= 1.

I have to find the kinetic and potential energy of the rope as a function of df/dt and a function of f respectively. For the potential energy V I have to normalise V so that it is zero for f=0, ie. zero when the whole length of the rope is on the table.

As a hint for the potential I am told to consider just the centre of mass of the part hanging off the edge.

Here's my solution attempt:

a) Kinetic energy T = (1/2)mv2.

here, the velocity of the rope is the rate of change of A with time: v = dA/dt = d/dt[Df(t)]
and the mass is M here, so for my kinetic energy, i said:

T = (1/2)MD2(df/dt)2.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what I've done here but please point it out if I've made a mistake.

b) The gravitational field can be considered uniform in this situation, so potential energy is given by V = mgh.

The only part of the rope taking part in the gravitational acceleration is the part hanging off the end, and since the mass is uniformly spread throughout, then the fraction of mass M involved here is the same as the fraction of the length, ie.

m = Mf(t).

The centre of mass of the hanging part is half way up it, which is A(t)/2 = Df(t)/2.

this corresponds to a negative h.

So, I said V = Mf(t)g.(-Df(t)/2) = -(1/2)MgD(f(t))2

however, when i put this into the Lagrangian, L = T - V and then differentiate L by f(t) and by d/dt[f(t)] = f(dot)

and I put this into the lagrangian equation of motion, ie.

d/dt dL/df(dot) = dL/df(t)

i find that the left hand site does not equal the right hand side, so i must be making a mistake somewhere.

I can't see what I am doing wrong though. Can anybody help me out please, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your values for T and U look good. The equation of motion is given by

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial f}=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \left(df/dt\right)}} [/tex]

The LHS and RHS do not need to be equal. By using the Lagrangian, you obtain a differential equation for the equation of motion. You should find something of the form:

[tex] \frac{d^{2}f}{dt^{2}} = Cf [/tex]

where C is a constant.

thanks again buffordboy, you keep popping up just when i need you :biggrin:

1. What is the Lagrange equation and how is it used?

The Lagrange equation, also known as the Euler-Lagrange equation, is a mathematical formula used to describe the motion of a system by considering the energy of the system. It is used in physics and engineering to calculate the equations of motion of a system, taking into account constraints such as forces and energies.

2. How does the Lagrange equation apply to a rope sliding off a table?

In the case of a rope sliding off a table, the Lagrange equation can be used to determine the motion of the rope as it falls due to gravity. It takes into account the constraints of the rope being attached to the table and the force of gravity acting on it. This allows us to calculate the equations of motion for the rope as it slides off the table.

3. What makes the problem of a rope sliding off a table difficult?

The problem of a rope sliding off a table is difficult because it involves multiple constraints and forces acting on the system. These include the tension in the rope, the force of gravity, and the motion of the rope itself. Additionally, the problem can become even more complex when considering factors such as friction and air resistance.

4. How can Lagrange's method be used to solve the problem of a rope sliding off a table?

Lagrange's method, also known as the Lagrangian method, involves setting up a mathematical framework using the Lagrange equation to describe the motion of a system. In the case of a rope sliding off a table, this method can be used to determine the equations of motion for the rope, taking into account the various forces and constraints involved. These equations can then be solved to determine the motion of the rope as it falls off the table.

5. What are some real-world applications of using Lagrange's method to solve problems?

Lagrange's method has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to analyze the motion of systems such as pendulums, satellites, and fluid flow. It is also used in the field of robotics to model and control the motion of robotic arms and other systems. Additionally, it has applications in economics, biology, and other fields where the motion of a system can be described using the principles of energy and forces.