The Lagrangian for a piece of toast falling over the edge of a table

In summary, the physics professor is trying to find the kinetic and potential energy of a piece of toast that has been dropped from a height onto a table. He finds that the kinetic energy is given by T-=-mgs \sin\theta, and the potential energy is given by V=-mgs \cos(\theta). He also finds the eom's for the kinetic and potential energy.
Markus Kahn
Homework Statement
The ultimate goal is to find the equations of motion for a piece of toast falling from a table.
Relevant Equations
Euler-Lagrange equations.
First of all, disclaimer: This isn't an official assignment or anything, so I'm not even sure if there is a resonably simple solution.

Consider the following sketch.

(Forgive me if it isn't completely clear, I didn't want to fiddle around for too long with tikz...)

Let us assume that we can approximate a piece of toast as a rectangle with homogenous mass distribution ##m## and length ##l##. We further assume that for ##t=0## the toast has velocity in positive ##x## direction. We can describe the system over the two generalized coordinates ##s## and ##\theta##, where ##s## gives the distance from the center of mass to the coordinate frame center (let us for now assume that the toast is infinitely thin... Not sure if this is necessary though) and ##\theta## beeing the angle between the toast and the ##y## axis. We can then write for the center of mass
$$\vec{x}_p = s(t)\begin{pmatrix}\sin(\theta(t))\\-\cos(\theta(t))\end{pmatrix}.$$
We find therefore for the kinetic and potential energy
$$T=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}_p^2 = \frac{1}{2}m (\dot s ^2 + s^2\dot \theta^2)\quad\text{and}\quad V=-mg s\cos(\theta),$$
which therefore would result in the following Lagrange function
$$L = \frac{1}{2} m (2 g \cos(\theta(t)) s(t) + \dot s(t)^2 +
s(t)^2 \dot \theta (t)^2).$$
Is this correct up until here? Finding the eom's isn't really a problem if this is correct..

PS: the third picture should just indicate that one can find ##t^*## with the condition ##(\ddot{x_p})_x\overset{!}{=}0## for which the toast loose its contact to the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your kinetic energy is not correct. You are missing the moment of inertia around the center of mass.

Thanks, completely forgot about that part... In that case we have
$$T= \frac{1}{2}m (\dot s ^2 + s^2\dot \theta^2)+ \frac{1}{2}I_{(0,0)} \dot\theta^2,$$
where ##I_{(0,0)}## is the moment of inertia in respect to the center of the coordinate frame. With the parallel axis theorem we have
$$I_{(0,0)} = \frac{1}{12}ml^2 + ms^2\Longrightarrow T = \frac{1}{2}m\dot s^2 + \frac{1}{24}ml^2\dot\theta^2 + s^2\dot\theta^2 .$$

I do not think that the solution to corresponding Lagrange equations is available in closed form

Me neither, so I just decieded to try it numerically but I'm already running into problems.. Mainly due to the fact that the condition I wanted to use to determine ##t^*## doesn't really lead to anything. If I calculate the second derivative of the ##x##-component of ##x_p## I get
$$(\ddot{x}_p)_x = \sin(\theta(t)) (\ddot s(t) - s(t) \dot\theta(t)^2) + \cos(\theta(t)) (2 \dot s(t) \dot\theta(t) + s(t)\ddot\theta(t))\overset{!}{=}0 $$
but Mathematica tells me that there are no zero values for this function (for the numerical solutions I obtained..)

Alright, I'm doing something wrong and I can't figure out what it is.. As established above the Lagrangian is given by
$$L = \frac{1}{2}m\dot s^2 + \frac{1}{24}ml^2\dot\theta^2 + ms^2\dot\theta^2 + mg s \cos(\theta) . $$
We therefore have
$$
\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial L}{\partial s} &= 2s\dot\theta ^2m + mg\cos\theta&\quad \frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot s} &= m\dot s & \quad \frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta} &= -mgs \sin\theta &\quad \frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot \theta} &= \frac{1}{12}ml^2\dot\theta + 2ms^2\dot\theta.
\end{align*}
$$
We can now go on and calculate
$$
\begin{align*}
\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot s}&= m\ddot s\\
\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \theta}&= \frac{1}{2}ml^2\ddot \theta + 2m \frac{d}{dt}(s^2\dot\theta) = \frac{1}{2}ml^2\ddot \theta + 2m(2s\dot s \dot \theta +s^2\ddot\theta) = \frac{1}{2}ml^2\ddot \theta +4s\dot s \dot\theta + 2ms^2\ddot\theta
\end{align*}
$$
We therefore get the two eom's
$$
\begin{align*}
2s\dot\theta^2 +g \cos\theta &=\ddot s \\
l^2\ddot\theta + 48 s \dot s \dot\theta + 24s^2\ddot\theta + 12 gs\sin\theta &=0
\end{align*}
$$
Solving this numerically isn't really an issue and plotting the trajectory with inital values
$$s(0)=l/2,\quad \dot s(0)= 0.3,\quad u(0)= \pi /2,\quad \dot u(0)= -0.1$$
gives

and if I plot ##(\ddot x_p)_x## I get this (cannot upload second image directly...). I don't really see how this can be.. At some point ##(\ddot x_p)_x## needs to be zero for the bread to lose contact to the table, but apparently this doesn't happen.. Can someone explain this?

Attachments

• ddot_x.png
    ddot_x.png
    7 KB · Views: 253
  • ddot_x.png
    ddot_x.png
    7 KB · Views: 302

1. What is the Lagrangian for a piece of toast falling over the edge of a table?

The Lagrangian for a piece of toast falling over the edge of a table is a mathematical expression that describes the energy of the system. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the toast as it falls, as well as the potential energy due to gravity.

2. How is the Lagrangian calculated for this scenario?

The Lagrangian is calculated by summing the kinetic and potential energy terms of the system. In this case, the kinetic energy is equal to the mass of the toast multiplied by its velocity squared, while the potential energy is equal to the mass of the toast multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the toast above the ground.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in this situation?

The Lagrangian allows us to analyze the motion of the falling toast using the principles of classical mechanics. By using the Lagrangian, we can determine the equations of motion for the toast and predict its trajectory as it falls.

4. How does the Lagrangian change if the toast is falling in a vacuum?

If the toast is falling in a vacuum, the potential energy term in the Lagrangian will be equal to zero since there is no gravitational force acting on the toast. This means that the Lagrangian will only consist of the kinetic energy term, which simplifies the equations of motion for the falling toast.

5. Can the Lagrangian be used to determine the final position of the falling toast?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to determine the final position of the falling toast. By solving the equations of motion derived from the Lagrangian, we can determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the toast at any given time. This information can then be used to calculate the final position of the toast when it reaches the ground.